A glimpse of the future

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

A glimpse of the future

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:21 pm

JCB have just been awarded the prestigious Mc Robert Award for their new 19C 1E all electric mini.

The 220X hydrogen powered 22 ton excavator is also under test.

Just a glimpse of things to come.

Fred

essexpete

Re: A glimpse of the future

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:27 pm

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Hydrogen powered gets a big :brravo: but battery power gets a big :thumbdown: sorry but battery power died with milk floats and it is not the way forward for any company. Personally I don't believe all this global warming climate change crap but think that it's more likely that government and big business are panicking as they know fossil fuels only have a limited time before they run out; the reality is even if Britain was to fully convert to battery power (which it will not) the rest of the world economy will still go down the pan when fossil fuels run out.

Sadly the human race aren't as clever as they would like to think, we still haven't progressed passed the internal combustion engine and battery powered vehicles are 'old hat' they are nothing new and although batteries themselves have come on a long way the modern battery powered car is not as good as their petrol or diesel counterparts.

Perhaps the furthest we have come is hybrid vehicles which are half sensible but still have an internal combustion engine; now is the time for a real genius to come onto the scene and make something revolutionary. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:07 pm

Jeremy a friend runs a Tesla 3, leased for a 3 year term. Top spec with over 300 mile range. It is perhaps a little bland to look at (not helped by his choice of white). In terms of performance it is nothing short of awesome.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #5 by Holger » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:10 am

Yes, but performance = (MUCH) shorter range = refill battery more often = need more coal or nuclear power = no change to climate
Battery power only makes sense (if at all) in small, slow cars with NO battery consuming options.
Some resources:
How-To

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 am

Holger wrote:Yes, but performance = (MUCH) shorter range = refill battery more often = need more coal or nuclear power = no change to climate
Battery power only makes sense (if at all) in small, slow cars with NO battery consuming options.

Friend does not drive it like he stole it all the time and costed it against his previous Lexus hybrid. It came out about level. He decided to lease and treats it as an expense without the risk of heavy depreciation and/or obsolescence at the end of day 3 or 4 years. He owned the Lexus at the end of a finance period but that car took a real hit with depreciation.
On the subject of helping towards reducing CO2 emissions and climate change I totally agree. Apparently a huge amount of ore mining takes place for a small amount of some of the battery constituents. If most of our population were to use EV then how would the National Grid cope. Also many people without their own private parking might struggle until the method of charging significantly changes. The whole electric push seems almost like diversionary tactics.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:29 am

I look at practicality here my current simple petrol powered 1.4 little Honda would still outperform the Tesla so far as range is concerned; it takes but a couple of minutes to fill the petrol tank whereas a battery powered car takes hours to charge, then there is longevity my old car is now 12 years old, how many battery powered cars will last that long?
Very few I doubt; as for climate change whilst I don't want to make this political I unlike many other people don't believe all the 'spin' that we are being force fed with on this matter, there are several things that make me question it, firstly why are not prominent scientists who argue against it not permitted a platform to have their say?
Secondly when things are repeated on the news again and again then you know you are being fed propaganda regardless of the subject matter, thirdly there is no real evidence that it is not simply a planetary cycle and as the average human life span is three score and ten you cannot show me a scientist who is a thousand years old with a thousand year old data to prove the point.
Then there is the fact that what we do do in Great Britain is not even a drop in the ocean compared to what the rest of the world does; all I am convinced of is that we are being sold a 'pup'
There is much else too and when you hear the words "could, might, probably" on the news as if this is fact then you know your being taken for a mug; I recall certain news reports that showed much of the country would be submerged under water by the year 2020 yeah right, then please forgive me for being sceptical, all I'm saying is don't believe all that you are being told because there is far too much propaganda that we are being fed and being passed off as fact when it is a lie, or perhaps they have adopted the old Joseph Goebbels philosophy that if you repeat a lie for long enough then it becomes fact?
Either way open your eyes to all possible prospects and not just those the establishment would want you to believe.

Jeremy

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #8 by Holger » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 pm

To be honest, we are looking for a replacement for our 08 Toyota Yaris, and we are tending to buy an VW e-Up. The list price is 23K Euro and with all the "help" from VW and the governement (and selling the Toyota) it will cost us 7-8K in the end.
I can charge for free at work, charging it at home will also be less money than the fuel for the Toyota.
In my search for a new vehicle I am ONLY looking at my briefcase. Environmental issues do not matter for me.

Jeremy, I think we are living over our resources already on earth. I think the climate discussion is ok, but it does not have to get that aggressive it got before Corona.
I think if each and every person just thinks about what and why sometimes it would help a lot. (Why are my plastic waterbottles wrapped in plastic?)
Some resources:
How-To

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:01 pm

No harm in civil discussion Jeremy. The regular posters on here always manage to avoid be rude and when you look back we have been chatting on this forum for a long time now. I look in at a truck forum but don't contribute but that is generally very civil. The worst TBH is an agricultural forum. Very well run and informative but the arrogance of some farming posters is sometimes beyond belief. I wonder if some of that stems from mostly not interacting with folk outside of agriculture or anyone much come to that.

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Holger I think you have it. We need to use resources more carefully.
Of course the other big agenda is meat production. I would agree (although I do not have science to back up) that intensive meat production is not a good use of resources and that most of the developed world could eat and waste a lot less. The hard vegans have started pushing their ideas on the back of climate change and some of their arguments do not make mu much of an answer.

https://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_ ... anguage=en

If anyone has time the above is interesting in relation to climate change and CO2 not a mention.
Sorry if this type of post annoys.

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”