The way we were

Discuss equipment which does not fit in in the other forums here, like cable cranes, material handlers, drilling, piling and screen equipment

Jeremy Rowland

Re: The way we were

Post #211 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:49 pm

A few real 'blasts from the past' there Fred :thumbup: most of which I recognise although I never knew that the AEC dump truck was fitted with Kirkstall axles. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #212 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:34 pm

A few more reminders of the way we were,
The 10 RB.
10RB.jpg

The "Wolf," Priestmans answer to the 3/8 yd. 10RB
Priestman Wolf.jpg
The "Panther," Priestmans answer to the 5/8 yd.19RB.
Priestman Panther.jpg

Smith super 10, another 3/8 yd machine.
Smith.Super.10.jpg

1/2 yd. Blaw Knox BK50
B_K_50_faceshovel.jpg

3/4 yd. Neal Unit
Neal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #213 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:08 am

Hi,
Here are a few more old pics, all of which bring back memories for me.
Fred
Foden with Hymac (crosscarriage).jpg
Foden tipper & TD14 Drott.jpg
ERF & County Bogmaster.jpg
Bedford TM & 941.jpg
Scammell Crusader.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #214 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi,
I found these 1950s Pics on the net.
They were mostly taken in Gloucestersire, most of the gear belonged to Grimshaw & Kinnear of Cheltenham and I remember seeing their gear working as I was based at Stroud in the 50s.
I went on to work on most of this type of gear and the old petrol start Internationals were the first crawlers I had experience of.
ERF roading box.jpg
D8R & box.jpg
TD 14 with extra manpower.jpg
JCB makes barrow redundant.jpg
Scrapers at work.jpg
10RB shovel loading S Type Bedford.jpg
22 RB & HA van.jpg
BTD6 Drott & Aveling Barford roller.jpg

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #215 by tctractors » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 am

Fred, I did all the machinery repairs for G&K for near 20 years, the C'o is still going but in a lot simpler form to before, the JCB 4 pic is taken at the Smiths factory near Cheltenham, their stores was full of CAT and International parts that left me gasping, sadly all the stocks ended up in a skip due to an office member, although I had begged to buy the lot off the Co' via the man that binned them, he must have thought that I might make a fortune from them, some people are set in that way?
tctractors

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #216 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:29 am

tctractors wrote:Fred, I did all the machinery repairs for G&K for near 20 years, the C'o is still going but in a lot simpler form to before, the JCB 4 pic is taken at the Smiths factory near Cheltenham, their stores was full of CAT and International parts that left me gasping, sadly all the stocks ended up in a skip due to an office member, although I had begged to buy the lot off the Co' via the man that binned them, he must have thought that I might make a fortune from them, some people are set in that way?
tctractors

Hi TC how are you :?:
It's a small world. :lol: There are a few other names from the area I can find no trace of.
There was a crowd from Cheltenham area called Costelloe & Kemble, they ran some old Cat tractors in the 50s and into the 60s, I don't know how long they went on :?: :?:
An opperator, Sid Wickham from Chepstow, who was with us in South Wales on one of a pair of D7Es late 60s early 70s used to drive a Challenger 33 for them.
Another firm I remember with lowloaders was Arthur Brunsdon from Ryeford, Stonehouse.
They had an immaculate fleet of eight or nine Foden artic and drawbar tractors and ridgids, ( I wish I had some photos.), I think the son Harold Brunsdon ran it. For how long I don't know.
A friend of mine used to keep a steamer, (I think it was an Aveling Porter), in their yard.
Looking at a recent post from Neversweat there was an ERF low loader of Staverton Builders which jogged my memory. :think:
They did a lot of work in the area and in South Wales,
They eventualy became part of A E Farr of Westbury. One of the Farr sons worked with us as a postgaduate engineer in Cardiff for a short while about 1968.
Fred

tctractors

Post #217 by tctractors » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:23 am

Hi Fred, Costello & Kemble I can remember well from my pipe line days, there was a few other good earthmoving outfits in the Cheltenham area, Excavators from Grove St, Seagrams on the A40 just on the edge of Cheltenham, they used to park Scraper box's up by the yard entrance in small, bigger, then biggest that would always make their yard easy to spot, J.R. Birt [Prestbury] ran a few Cat's and Scrapers etc, the wild outfit was R.S. Smith & Son, Rectory Works Fiddington, they had some Iron and used to run a Scammell taxed weekly to drag the kit about, Mr Costello I think was also involved with a C'o called Railside Engineering that was well known for their skills moving big chunks, Arthur Brunsden from Ryeford is again a name I know from the past and had done Heavy Haulage for (P.Strange) also the timber man just nearby Brown's.
tctractors

essexpete

Post #218 by essexpete » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Good stuff Fred :thumbup:

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #219 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi Tony and Pete,
Thanks for your replies.
Tony, I said I'd like to have photos of Brunsdons Fodens and I found this survivor on the net.
Researching the company it seems they sold the bussines in the early 80s.
Arthur Brunsdon S20.jpg

You mentioned Phill Strange, I think I may have said before that back in the 70s I went to his yard to get a gearbox out of an Ex Wm. Press Fowler sideboom for one of my Challengers.
He had a pair of Allis HD21P blades Ex G Leatherbarrow of Liverpool and I ended up bying the best of them.
I later bought a Komatsu PC150 out of that yard too.
Here are a few more later pics of Grimshaw & Kinnear gear from their website.
G&K.jpg
G&K Drott.jpg
G&K Cat H and S&P 72t.jpg

tim

Post #220 by tim » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Fred here's a pic of the Brunsdon Foden at a rally when it was owned by Tim Beaven of Hindhead Surrey in the 1990's. Tims dad Pat was a timber haulier in the late 50's/early60's before turning to plant hire and land clearance using International Drotts and later had the first Komatsu D50 track shovel in the area where I lived.I think Tim sold this Foden in the late 90's and the livery was changed unfortunately.
tbf3.jpg
:thumbup: Tim

Return to “Misc earthmoving equipment”