Coventry Climax TT Tough Terrain Fork Lift info needed.

Discuss fork lifts here

Topic author
Owelly

Coventry Climax TT Tough Terrain Fork Lift info needed.

Post #1 by Owelly » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:10 am

I've used the search function but have not found what I'm looking for.
I have a 1982/1983 Coventry Climax TT forklift. It was used by my dad in his coal yard before he died a few weeks ago and then it was stolen. I found it, and took it back but at some point, the disgruntled thieves put water in the fuel tank. Not a massive problem as I just strapped a drum to the side and dipped the fuel flow and return pipes in and set off to drive 16 miles home. After about 4 miles, the machine lost drive. The engine was labouring as if it was trying to drive but it didn't move and it was spewing pink foamy oil/fluid from a dipstick just behind the cab. I employed my trusty old 4x4 Transit to pull it for another few miles but then it came to a halt to the point that it pulled my towball straight... In the midle of a single track road, totally blocking it. I borrowed a huge tractor to pull it off the road and all four wheels refused to turn. Dropping the machine into 2wd disengaged the rear two wheels. We left it at the side of the road for the night and returned the next day with a couple of drums of universal oil. The service hydraulic tank took about 10 litres to bring it up to the dipstick and the oil in there was like chicken soup. The little filler and dippy took about 15 litres and still looked like pink foam. I hoped that he extra fluids would at least get me home. It still refused to move so the huge tractor was employed to drag it the rest of the way home. With the hydro-drive lever in neutral, the wheels started to turn. With the hydro-drive in drive, the engine seemed to be acting as a brake even though it was running.

So my questions are:
What fluids do I need and how much? I know what I'm doing with the service hydraulics but no idea what goes in the gearbox.

I want to know how the blumming thing works! It has a four speed box, a clutch and the hydro-drive thingy to give forward and reverse. Incidentally, the clutch is seized solid.
I've been told the Climax uses the Leyland skid. It's certainly a Leyland engine but I can't find a transmission that matches mine.

And finally for now, where can I find any general info on the old dragon?

Thanks in advance, Owelly.

Topic author
Owelly

Re: Coventry Climax TT Tough Terrain Fork Lift info needed.

Post #2 by Owelly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:57 pm

25 views and no replies! Don't tell me I have a very rare machine that no-one knows anything about!!
I could go over to the tractory bit and ask there but I have no idea what tractor shares the same transmission.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by XS650 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:54 pm

Don't think anyones heard of them Owelly , a photo would be good.
Just read a book about Leyland tractors and it shows them supplying a few skids to Coventry Climax and also more than half their total production to JCB !
I am no spanner man at all but it sounds to me like a Leyland tractor with a torque converter ala JCB 's so sure someone here can help.

Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
Owelly

Post #4 by Owelly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 pm

20140117_131302.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Owelly

Post #5 by Owelly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:49 pm

20140117_131248.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Owelly

Post #6 by Owelly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:51 pm

I had a peep under a JCB 3CX of a similar vintage today. The engine looks the same but the rear axle/diff looks very fifferent.

taurus MK1

Post #7 by taurus MK1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:34 pm

:wave: still think I have a manual somewhere give me time,I shall look in our archives cheers John :rockon:

Topic author
Owelly

Post #8 by Owelly » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:59 pm

That would be fantastic!!

XS650

Post #9 by XS650 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 am

Base may be a Leyland 472
Not all those who wander are lost.

essa

Post #10 by essa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:46 am

Just stumbled across this site when searching for other info. If it seems rather late to post a reply, sorry!
What you may have is a Leyland engine mated to a Brockhouse Transmissions Torque Converter.
Many hundreds were made in West Bromwich for JCB Back hoes. they were delivered to Bathgate, fitted together, then sent to JCB at Rocester...
Brockhouse still offer servicing and spares for their units...Phone: 0121 5562011 ask for Les Jones...
Hope this helps..

Terry.

Return to “Fork Lifts”