Airbrushing

Tips and tricks, tools and paint

Topic author
niner

Airbrushing

Post #1 by niner » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Im looking into giving airbrushing a go but my knowledge is very limited.

I know you can buy cheap starter kits but I dont really want to buy cheap, Im the sort that will spend a bit more on the better brand. Anyone do a bit of airbrushing here? I want to get into weathering and custom painting my models.

I have found a beginers course that sounds good, £99 for the day and im wondering if it's worth going, I learn better with a hands on approach rather than reading off the net and watching DVD's!

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=195_199&products_id=20844&osCsid=10c008db9835ea4c45a980217f4244fd

martyn williams

Re: Airbrushing

Post #2 by martyn williams » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:21 pm

There are tips on Youtube but the best way to learn is by doing it yourself on a test piece as you don't want to screw up on a good model.I would by up some cheap models and practice. "Everyone learns by their mistakes " said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin.
Martyn

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:29 pm

I did have a go with a cheapo airbrush many moons ago now and to be fair I got some good results more than adequate for modelling, the one I purchased was a simple Humbrol aerosol powered one but it worked fine.
My advice would be to have a look in your local model shop and buy one that does not need the air canisters like mine and then as Martyn says practice on something that does not matter.

Jeremy

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Martyn Henley » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 pm

These models were done by a guy who had only 2 years modelling experience, his knowledge of painting was from a aerosol can...
model20.jpg

P1060434.JPG

P1060427.JPG

So i asked if he could do weathering, sure he said i will give it a go ..so off he went ...
He went online and looked at various tips and then bought a kit from an art centre, the kit had everything in it, from the gun to dust and paints ..the price was about £200 ...armed with the kit he practised until he got it right ... so i would say the money you could spend on the course can go towards a good gun kit.

Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
niner

Post #5 by niner » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Ive watched a lot of youtube and some of the things you can do with them is brilliant, especialy the weathering, the photos of those JCB'a re brilliant, love the wheelbarrows too.

Done a lot of reading and the aerosol can ones are not really the way to go. You cant regulate the psi, you only get about 10 mins of spraytime and as the pressure dies towards the end of the can it affects your spray job. The best way to go is a compressor with airtank. If you dont have an airtank the diaphram can pulse the paintflow again affecting your paint job.

Martyn,

Your'e probably right about the money for the course going on a gun and some kit. The course is down in Brighton so its the £99 for the course plus accommodation and fuel from North Wales and back!

Return to “Tips and tricks, tools and paint”