Need advise on painting a model

Tips and tricks, tools and paint

Topic author
Renaultman

Need advise on painting a model

Post #1 by Renaultman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:12 pm

Hello, I'm going to repaint a model. I've stripped the old paint and I have the primer and top coat ready to go. My question is whats the best way to clean and prepare the surface so the primer will take, the model is diecast. Thanks.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Need advise on painting a model

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi Geraint, no work on the railway today ? right, try wire wool or a small wire brush... you could even sand it all over if possible as there could be blemishes, normally die cast's are painted by baking the paint on and that seems to cover any blemishes .. you might even have to use an etched primer for your paint to stick to the surface ... if any one else has any other suggestions

Martyn

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Post #3 by Tracshovel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Just make sure all the parts are very clean. Use some of those thin rubber gloves to keep greasy fingermarks off. Wire wool the parts and wipe/blow clean or even wash with bicarbonate soda & water.
Next part is the painting.
Easiest is to use Halfords/Hycote acryilic paints if you can match the colour or you can use the Halfords primer which will take most types of single pack paint on top. This paint is pretty forgiving and easy to use. If using car paints you may need an etch primer to make it stick to the diecast.
When painting, do it in light coats and build up the layers (don't be tempted to blast it all on in one go). also do it in a dry warm room and a dust free area. You can use a hot air blower (wifes hairdryer works best :lol: ) to help warm the parts before and during painting (also warm the paint can up and shake well before use).
Hang your parts on a rail with brass wire so you paint lots of the small ones quickly and easily.

Lets see some pictures of your progress :thumbup: :thumbup:

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:13 pm

Looking forward to seeing your work :thumbup: I guess it is very easy to put on too much paint that would cover up the fine detail.I used to use an airbrush and many thin coats of paint.Last model paint job I did was on an AMT D8,I used Caterpillar yellow in a spray can.It turned out better than I thought it would.
Martyn

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing your work :thumbup: I guess it is very easy to put on too much paint that would cover up the fine detail.I used to use an airbrush and many thin coats of paint.Last model paint job I did was on an AMT D8,I used Caterpillar yellow in a spray can.It turned out better than I thought it would.
Martyn

gbarnewall

Post #6 by gbarnewall » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Great tips there Tracshovel,I have done a few repaints myself but to be honest never got them 100% first time,and never completely 100% happy,what I suffer from most is lack of patience :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 am

gbarnewall wrote:Great tips there Tracshovel,I have done a few repaints myself but to be honest never got them 100% first time,and never completely 100% happy,what I suffer from most is lack of patience :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Yes Graham my problem too :think: patience is for people who like waiting :lol:

Jeremy

gbarnewall

Post #8 by gbarnewall » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
gbarnewall wrote:Great tips there Tracshovel,I have done a few repaints myself but to be honest never got them 100% first time,and never completely 100% happy,what I suffer from most is lack of patience :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Yes Graham my problem too :think: patience is for people who like waiting :lol:

Jeremy

Spot on Jeremy,we can have all the time we want to wait when we're dead :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ,

I can't wait now for the summer to arrive,just to enjoy the paint as it bakes on in the sun,I have used celulose paint and in RAL5015 it just looks amazing,so so deep and lush :mrgreen:

Return to “Tips and tricks, tools and paint”