Diorama's.................

Discuss dioramas here

Topic author
niner

Diorama's.................

Post #1 by niner » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Where do you do your's?

It's nice if you have the room in the house to have a table set up to dio's on but every square inch of my bungalow is accounted for. If you are in the same boat as me how do you overcome it?

Im on the doorstep of a granite quarry so no shortage of places to put a few models in a box and head up for a few shots but I would really love somewhere to build some screening plants, workshops and hoppers, baisicly mimic some of the set up in the local quarry.

andythejoiner

Re: Diorama's.................

Post #2 by andythejoiner » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:32 pm

heres something i am finishing of at the moment, the total size is approx 14 foot x 4 foot and splits up into 4 bits. i have several quarry faces and then the static crushing plant and workshop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
niner

Post #3 by niner » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Looking good, I wish I had the room to do something like that.

Got anymore pics of it?

andythejoiner

Post #4 by andythejoiner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:03 pm

some more pictures from the lakeland model farm & construction show
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by modelman093 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:32 pm

andythejoiner wrote:heres something i am finishing of at the moment, the total size is approx 14 foot x 4 foot and splits up into 4 bits. i have several quarry faces and then the static crushing plant and workshop

Hi Andrew, What is he construction of your rock faces? Yonks ago when I was in to model (toy) railways it was chicken wire , muslin and plaster of Paris but it looks as though things have progressed a bit, or perhaps you are a more talented sculptor and artist!?
Angus

andythejoiner

Post #6 by andythejoiner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:45 pm

I started of with a mdf board and then built up the areas with polystyrene glued together and glued to the mdf. Then i attacked it with a plasterboard saw and created the shape etc. Using pva paint all areas and mix Gypsum bonding in a slurry form and paint on as required. Up till recent i have not had the courage to paint and create the rock faces etc, i have used a dulled down emulsion paint to match the stone i have and painted on in thin layers and then sprinkled hornby sactter etc on, and where the faces are i then attacked with a wire brush and brushed till you get the effect of a recent blasted face

thanks andy

clockworklozenge1

Post #7 by clockworklozenge1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Mix a slurry of grey/white/black paint- marble the mixture rather than fully mixing and add a small quantity of hammer crushed rock (the same colour as the rocks your using as loose- maybe even a small quantity of cement powder- as this mix dries youll get a gritty- powder finish

clockworklozenge1

Post #8 by clockworklozenge1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Some parts and pieces for my upcoming dio

L.Kezz
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by L.Kezz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Very very nice! You all have put time and effort into these and they look fantastic! Unfortunately for me like you niner I have no room for a dio indoors, plus the fact my models are all mining machinary so I'd need some big space for starters anyway. Late on last year I took my models outside, got a spade, dug a hole, put my models in and it turned out pretty good, I have some pics on this diorama's subject, the topic is called outdoor dio I think. I have plans for a big one outdoors later in the year I hope if thingd turn out. Just need to move a big pile of hardcore in order to make the area I want to do it in bigger. But for now, here are a couple of pics of mine.

Regards

L.Kezz
Cheers

L.Kezz

clockworklozenge1

Post #10 by clockworklozenge1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Return to “Dioramas”