UK no. plates

Discuss haulage models here

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

UK no. plates

Post #1 by hair bear » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm a bit of an anorak when it comes to collecting models of vehicles I've owned and I would like them to have the correct number plates. Does anyone know if there is a website that allows you to print scale number plates with your reg no. on?
What I'm thinking is 'Select Country-Select Scale-Type Number-Press Print' kind of thing but there doesn't seem to be any.
How I'm doing it is using a Seiko label printer and the 'Franklin Gothic Demi' font in size 10 and arranged ZZ 88 ZZZ or ZZspace88spacespaceZZZ. This to me is sort of passable for 1/24 scale but not brilliant.
I have downloaded the correct 'Charles Wright New' font but for some reason my printer won't accept it. Also it won't go below size 8 font so i'm stuffed for 1/32 or smaller.
Any tips or tricks for getting this right and going down to 1/32 or 1/43 scale?
Any help appreciated.
One person in ten understands binary, the other one doesn't.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: UK no. plates

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 am

Rob I think that perhaps looking on a modelling forum you may get some tips? Just an idea :think:

Jeremy

Osgood

Post #3 by Osgood » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am

If you can print out the correctly proportioned layouts on your own printer at the smallest size for quality, then pop into a print shop and for the cost of one print reduce it down to required size on a decent photocopier, you should get the right size at the quality you're after? And printed on card too?

Topic author
hair bear

Post #4 by hair bear » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks guys, yes the modelling forums are well worth a look. Ah, er... wrong sort of modelling. Ahem.
To get the correct proportions (back to number plates!), I did think about taking a picture of the actual plate and re-sizing it but to get it to print anywhere close looks like it could be more luck than judgement.
Still early days, I'll let you know how I get on.

Topic author
hair bear

Post #5 by hair bear » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Managed to 'borrow' a Dymo self adhesive label printer from work, and after a little experimentation printing XXNNdoublespaceXXX in 10pt appears to be quite passable for 1/24 scale UK plates. The tapes are available in black print on white and black print on yellow so all I need to do now is investigate it's use for other scales.

Return to “Haulage models”