Yale 134-A Loading Shovel

Discuss wheel loaders here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Yale 134-A Loading Shovel

Post #11 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Ross welcome to CMN :wave: I am no expert on automatic transmissions but I would suggest checking the oil level in the torque converter and topping it up with some fresh ATF first; see if that fixes the problem?

Jeremy

Osgood
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by Osgood » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:40 pm

I think the transmission oil feeds the torque converter by means of a charge pump (gear type), which would be the small pump if there is more than one, big pump is main hydraulic pump (may be 2 x small pumps - if so one is charge, one is steering - easy to trace which is which). It is this pump that might get damaged if the transmission gets low of oil - the converter itself should be ok, not much to go wrong up there except oil seals and bearings which will be apparent by noise).

So check the transmission oil. Is it a Clark box? If so there is usually a low level tap or plug on the front right of the drop box, with a similar one about 3 - 4" above being high level. I believe it is normal to check these with engine running and torque therefore filled.

Osgood
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by Osgood » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Here's a schematic of a slightly bigger later converter, but the basic idea should be the same. You can see the charge pump on the right fills the torque from the transmission sump. Might help you trace the pipes anyway! This type of torque is normally bolted to engine - note the drive plate on left ( * ) and drives transmission through propshaft, but some Yales had a prop drive from engine to torque which was built into the transmission case (I have little knowledge of these earlier rigid Yale loaders).

* Reminds me - our 2000C loaders have a drive ring like a starter ring made of fibre, instead of the thin steel drive plate shown in the diagram. They would sometimes break up - often preceded by vibration as teeth broke off - thereby losing drive altogether. If your loader is the same and oil level is ok, check to see if there are any bits of drive ring in the bottom of the flywheel housing.

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 17.53.47.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RossHarv

Post #14 by RossHarv » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:04 am

thanks for the welcome to the group, already learning a lot thanks to the shared wisdom. I think the charge pump could be the problem as the output prop shaft is slowly turning, but not enough to move the machine. the bucket lifts as well as ever so this pump is fine. No noises etc from the TC before the mishap. Hopefully recharging the oil level as suggested might work. keep the comments coming, this is an interesting machine. When were they made? Any archive material out there, pictures etc?

Return to “Wheel Loaders”