JCB Loaders

Discuss wheel loaders here

shovel418

Re: JCB Loaders

Post #51 by shovel418 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Jeremy would Blackwood Hodge have supplied these machines new, were they a dealer for JCB at the time. As you can see I have a bit of work ahead of me, however I am looking forward to it.
Mike

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #52 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:14 pm

shovel418 wrote:Jeremy would Blackwood Hodge have supplied these machines new, were they a dealer for JCB at the time. As you can see I have a bit of work ahead of me, however I am looking forward to it.
Mike

Hi Mike, Blackwood Hodge were mainly a Terex dealership but they also sold other makes of machine, I am not aware if they ever supplied any new JCB machines or not but your machine may of been part exchanged for a new Terex loader or a Zettelmeyer loader. I just saw the Blackwood Hodge logo's on your machine and assumed that they had at some time in the past supplied the machine.

Jeremy

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #53 by Martyn Henley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Most interesting, i dont think it was blackwood hodge that supplied the machine, i have a feeling it was Blackwood Hodge Hire that owned it, Blackwood Hodge were main supplier for the UK with Terex,Euclid, and Cummings, and i guess its pretty logical to sell the machines you supply to a hire company in your Group of companies, if i remember rightly Blackwood Hodge Hire was quite a big player in the muckshifting industry

... i found this little article about Blackwood Hodge Hire from an operator who worked for them and who was on hire to Neil Belcher back in the 80's working on the M40 .. there is a few other interesting items on the page.
http://blackwood-hodge.typepad.com/home/blackwood_hodge_hire/

Martyn

shovel418

Post #54 by shovel418 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 am

:bow: Martyn that link was fantastic I am lost for words, to see the history of this company which I barley knew existed, I am a true believer that any day where you learn something new is a good day and today is a very good day. So a very big thankyou.

Mike

robo
Flag: Great Britain

Post #55 by robo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Mike,
I was searching through one of my old boxes of work related bits the other day and came across these which I thought may be of interest to you. There out of an old JCB publication from the early 1970's.
jcb.chaseside.jpg

The transition from Chaseside to JCB
jcb418test.jpg

JCB 418 on test. (probably slightly biased as it came from a JCB publication!)
jcb418spec..jpg

JCB 418 Spec. sheet.
jcb418expl.view.jpg

JCB 418 cutaway view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Post #56 by essexpete » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks for posting the 418 info and history. I am not sur but I think JCB did not have their history entirely correct. Chaseide's first hydraulic machine did not arrive until 1954 or 55 and the late entry did nothing to help the company. I see that the last big Chaseside rigid (3000) carried over into the new range.
My cousin worked on the JCB artic pre production and I still have the leaflets somewhere. I remember he implied that the different layout of the JCB was superior i.e. the cab mounted on the forward chassis and the oscilating pivot. I now see it was to dodge the then artic shovel patents which, I believe, were held by Matbro.

shovel418

Post #57 by shovel418 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:41 am

Robo :bow: :bow: what can I say, I have had so much reading over the last couple of days regarding BH and now the real info that I have been waiting for "JCB418", I had a fall from a crane a couple of weeks back and ended up with a broken knee, however if this had not happend I would have started stripping down my machine preparing for a re-build, usually I strip and look for info at the same time but in my current state I have time on my hands do as much reasearch on this machine as is possible and as you know all these type of fact sheets help thanks again Robo. Essexpete posted that his cousin worked on this machine and that he might also have some info, well I hope you get a chance to poste them essexpete.
thanks again to all.
Mike :thumbup:

shovel418

Post #58 by shovel418 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:57 am

:offtopic: As a driver of trucks of many years now I wish I had carried a camera so that I could share some of the unusual things that I have moved, I did manage to find some old and new photos so I want to give you a sample of some of my past work, I know its off topic but I hope you enjoy. its a little thank you.
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shovel418

Post #59 by shovel418 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:08 pm

one missing from fire station

Mark.Rive

Post #60 by Mark.Rive » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Mike nice pic's you certainly get up to some different stuff :thumbup: I agree with you about finding info on older JCB machines. I've just begun restoring an old 3DII and there is more info on that machine compared to yours but still not enough really. To that end I've made it a mission to gather as much tech info as I can on all JCB machines. And of course there are members here who have lots of knowlegde on the finer details that were not in any manuals :thumbup: Anyway i spend too much time in the loaders/Backhoe section but spotted your thread and I can help. I hope. This is what I can lay my hands on in the short term. Give me a couple of days and I'll see if I can get more details. Cheers Mark :D
PS this upload is electrics the files follow on ie 123etc. Same for next post :thumbup:
Last edited by Holger on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I merged the files, I hope you dont mind Mark!

Return to “Wheel Loaders”