Starter motor

Discuss wheel loaders here

Topic author
supermondo
Flag: Great Britain

Starter motor

Post #1 by supermondo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:31 am

Hi, can any one advise on starter motor model details for replacing my burnt out one?
Thank you

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: Starter motor

Post #2 by gecko.cx » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:51 am

Not a specific answer, but the original starter will have been a Lucas M45, M50 or M127 type, however, more modern gear reduction starters are vastly superior.

Apart from being higher torque, the reduction drive style are half the weight and half the volume of the direct drive starter which makes it so much easier to install. As you'll discover, it's a snug fit!
The slim body also allows direct access with a socket improving installation.

This is a good description of the two types
https://www.emmarkuk.com/gear-reduction-starter-motors

Edit:
I should add - I'm still loving the 1-second starts!
Last edited by gecko.cx on Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essexpete

Re: Starter motor

Post #3 by essexpete » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:08 pm

I would definitely support Ian Geckco's view. Do not buy a cheap copy of the original. Diesels need to spin quickly to start effectively. The older and more worn out or colder the ambient temperature the greater the benefit of the reduction starter. I now have them fitted on a Ford 8340, Ford 6610 engine (Sanderson), Case IH 895 and a NH telehandler. Interestingly the batteries on the 8340 are coming to life end but they are over 10 years old. I feel the batteries do not get a caning with the more efficient starters. Obviously the main cables need to be good.
Our local NH dealer can source the Mahle, and I was surprised they were cheaper than 2 different independent suppliers. If it will fit you want the over 4kw starter.

Return to “Wheel Loaders”