Dean Smith and Grace Type 17 help needed (maintenance?)

Discuss workshop equipment here

Topic author
siruncle

Dean Smith and Grace Type 17 help needed (maintenance?)

Post #1 by siruncle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:54 am

Hi, I've recently been let loose on the lathe(s) at work, due to the previous chap retiring from ill health, the latest addition being a "new" DSG type17 (well it's new to work...lol)

If anyone has any experience with maintaining this lathe i am trying to find out if its possible to take up the slack on the cross slide handwheel, as currently you have to move it about 1/8th of a turn before something happens, which is not ideal, when trying to set up to do multiple items of the same diameter.
I've trawled the net, and found some info from shamrock machinery, on similar DSG lathes, but it doesn't say anywhere about adjustment of the handwheel. there doesn't appear to be any slop between the bed and the saddle(?) its just at the handwheel, everything else seems fine with it. It'd be a shame not to use it as when you are turning something down, the finish is pretty good (compared to the results from the other 2 lathes we have)

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Pete

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Dean Smith and Grace Type 17 help needed (maintenance?)

Post #2 by Stormin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:58 am

Quality machine the Dean Smith and Grace lathes. Sometimes referred to as the Rolls Royce of lathes. A machine such as that should have a split nut on the crosslide feed screw to take up back lash. Not sure of the exact arrangement on these but there is usually a grub screw or similar above the nut to adjust the split.

A little backlash isnt necessarily such a bad thing on a lathe crosslide. As long as you back off beyond the back lash and then wind back in to take up the slack. The tool should always be in the same position if set to the same number on the dial. If not the play is somewhere else.

I would try asking the question on the practical machinist forum, mostly American but there's a good following of DSG machines on there and I'm sure someone will be able to answer the question.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/

Topic author
siruncle

Re: Dean Smith and Grace Type 17 help needed (maintenance?)

Post #3 by siruncle » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks norman, much appreciated

Return to “Workshop equipment/tools”