Hunslett shunter

Discuss rail plant equipment in this forum.

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Re: Hunslett shunter

Post #21 by Whitlock 505 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:15 am

Is there a fuse gone on the panel under the word "field"? Looks like a bit of fuse wire left and curled around and a bit of scorching on the back of the panel, could be totally wrong and barking up the wrong tree, but you never know

Topic author
mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #22 by mechman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 am

The fuse was checked because it looked a bit iffy and was found to be OK. A thought has crossed my mind that it could be the IGN switch, naturally the key isn't the correct one and is a bit stiff to turn and once started sometimes have to turn it back to disengage the starter, so if it's turned to far back maybe it kills the feed to the dynamo' another avenue to explore next week. I only go to the railway once a week so it could take a while as they have limited facilities and only a volunteer work force same as myself. I only have limited intelligence myself so as you can see I'm up against it. :) :)
Norm.

Topic author
mechman

Post #23 by mechman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 am

The dynamo has 3 wirers attached to it, a fat red one and 2 less fat black ones should one of these wires become energised with the ignition on? I need as much ammo as I can before the offending article (or not) goes to the guys who deal in that kind of black art.
Norm. :dizzy: :?

kaos
Flag: Iceland

Post #24 by kaos » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:52 pm

Looking at your pictures, are the two black wires not of different thickness? It seems to me the wire going to the centre terminal is much heavier than the other one, and about as heavy as the red wire? Also the terminal with the red wire is marked +, and the centre terminal -, so I would think these are the positive and negative power connections. The third terminal would then be the field terminal, with the other end of the field winding being internally connected to + or - .

At the regulator, I think the yellow wire, going to the terminal marked B+, is the battery connection, most likely *not* through an ignition switch. I don't see any connection for a charge indicator light (which *would* be connected through an ignition switch). Is there a charge or battery indicator in the instrument panel? DC generators are generally "self starting", i.e. they will start charging when the rotate, without any external current applied.

--
Best regards, Kári.

Topic author
mechman

Post #25 by mechman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Karl. There's an amp meter on the dash but it remains at zero, and thanks for the help.
Norm.
edit. If I take a feed from battery plus to dynamo plus, and a feed from battery minus to dynamo minus, should the dynamo spin and would that mean that the dynamo is OK? :?
Norm.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #26 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi Norm,
There are a few tests you can do on the dynamo.
First check the obvious things like the brushes are free in their holders and the brush springs are OK,
It is quite possible if the dynamo has been standing a long time that the residual magnetism in the field coils which is needed to kick it off has been lost. This can be restored by re-polarising it by running a lead from battery live and brushing it across the field terminal of the dynamo, (this will cause a spark). That could be all you need to do to kick it off.
If you want to test the dynamo by running it as a motor all you need to do is remove the fan belts, disconnect the Dynamo and Field connections from the dynamo. Tape the cables up and store them safely to one side, then connect the D & F terminals together with a short bridge lead.
Run a cable to connect the bridge lead to battery live. It is advisable to use a switch in this battery live lead rather than flash it. An old starter switch or button would do. When you make this connection the dynamo should run if OK.
Check that the dynamo runs in the right direction in case you slipped up when re-polarising, It's easily reversed by polarising again.
If you get it to charge and need to test the output of the dynamo I can explain how you do this with the dynamo in position.

It may also be worth cleaning the points on the regulator by drawing a bit of glass paper through them. Don't use emery cloth for this

Hope this helps.
Fred

Topic author
mechman

Post #27 by mechman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks Fred.
The dynamo is off the machine at the moment ( a bit awkward to remove ) It is gear driven so I had to remove it, I was going to try it in a vice with a battery and a couple of leads but held back because I want to get the leads connected to the correct terminals, this isn't my area at all so the more ammo the better.
Norm. :?

romneyman

Post #28 by romneyman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:32 pm

H i Norm, if you need any info on this machine contact Hunslets at Statfold Barn Railway, Graham Lee or Henry Noon are the people to talk to, they are very helpful. Peter

Topic author
mechman

Post #29 by mechman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:28 am

Hi Romney man.
Funny you should mention them as I was given their number today, rang twice answer machine or voicemail left message and no reply as yet.
Norm. :(

Topic author
mechman

Post #30 by mechman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:38 am

Had a go at dynamo today (all day ) and accepted defeat, it's going into the hands of a dark artist. Tried flashing the F lead several times, nothing except a flash. the amp meter shows discharge when starting it but no charge when running, also the ignition light doesn't come on at all and the bulbs OK.
Norm :dizzy:

Return to “Rail Plant Equipment”