Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Discuss compact dumpers here

Topic author
oldbikeles

Re: Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Post #31 by oldbikeles » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:05 am

So, if I have diff problems, I just go digging for old Transit stuff?
Sounds like a good idea, though I prefer no diff problems. I just want this dumper to keep working.
I am trying to do a little drainage job in my small garden.
At the top boundary, I have a tiny little drainage channel off the hillside above. About two feet down is a clay base, but on top is just "sinking sand". Elsewhere, my garden is just clay, and a very fine, sticky clay at that. I was fool enough to disturb it before it rained for one week, and now my little JCB 801.4 is down to its upper return track! I am trying to remove the sinking sand to lower down the garden, and replace it with more clay. When I move one dumper load of sand, it take 10 minutes to help empty the load with a small shovel.
When I take a dumper load of clay up to the top, it takes me 30 minutes to spade it out. At just a few months short of 70, it completely kna****s me!
When I finish that part, I shall get in hardcore to make good the sloppy clay area, then I have a biggish drainage channel at the back of the house to complete. Only then will I be able to start my 30ft X 10 ft wooden motor bike shed. I will be able to get concrete around to it (inaccessible now), lay a base, and then get somebody competent with wood to build the shed. Meanwhile, the planners look on!
Les.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #32 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:42 am

Well most live axles had the diff in the middle and a wheel at each end! Specifically, in this case, the axle/diff on your dumper is likely to be the same make/model/or series as that fitted to the (heavyweight) twin wheel Transit. That's what a guy who worked for Fords, at Dagenham I think, told me a few years ago.
Julian.[/quote]

Hi Julian,
I looked at a Roughrider in Swansea last week, looks like the standard Transit diff to me. I'll be surprised if its the twin wheel version. Incidentaly, I think the van diff ratios differ between diesel and petrol too.
Fred.

Julian

Post #33 by Julian » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:22 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi Julian,
I looked at a Roughrider in Swansea last week, looks like the standard Transit diff to me. I'll be surprised if its the twin wheel version. Incidentaly, I think the van diff ratios differ between diesel and petrol too.
Fred.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Maybe Thwaites's choice of front axles depended on the capacity of the machine - Orion, Nimbus etc etc. And like you say the crown wheel to pinion ratio is almost certainly different. Still, it's useful to know this sort of thing because it gives more scope for acquiring spare parts should they be needed.

Julian.

rob scotland

Post #34 by rob scotland » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 pm

the diff has the name leys in the casting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rob scotland on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
its never as simple as it first seemed

Smalley mini digger 430 lister lpws3
Liner rough rider lr2 diesel

rob scotland

Post #35 by rob scotland » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:32 pm

I hope this is the plate on the gear stick you where after, sorry about the quality of the photos its hard jugglering the gauge and the camera
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #36 by oldbikeles » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Rob, that is fantastic. Now I can make one!
Just one point. It looks as if the slot is just a bit too small, it has been forced on, and then peined to prevent it coming off. Does that make sense to you?
Les.

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #37 by oldbikeles » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Rob, If you go back to the pic I posted and compare with your pic into gearbox, it looks as if mine is ready for the scrap heap, and your is unused!
lucky you.
les.

rob scotland

Post #38 by rob scotland » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 pm

oldbikeles wrote:Rob, that is fantastic. Now I can make one!
Just one point. It looks as if the slot is just a bit too small, it has been forced on, and then peined to prevent it coming off. Does that make sense to you?
Les.

that would seems to be right

rob scotland

Post #39 by rob scotland » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:02 am

oldbikeles wrote:Rob, If you go back to the pic I posted and compare with your pic into gearbox, it looks as if mine is ready for the scrap heap, and your is unused!
lucky you.
les.

the gearbox is ok but you should see the state of the engine, the exhaust valve outlet only had an area the size of a std pencil to allow the gases to vent, I cleared out a baccy tins worth of coke from one 3 inch manifold length. the body work has needed lots of welding due to cracks, and the laddle is a on going project

rob scotland

Post #40 by rob scotland » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 am

if your wondering about the colour of the digger, My wife asked my 2&4 year old boys what colour I should repaint it, answer "tigger digger" so orange and black it was to be, I am lucky it doesen't have tiger stripes. and since the dumper is to go with it it has to match. the kids have named the dumper as well " thumper" disney has a lot to answer for...... :roll:

Return to “Compact Dumpers”