Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Discuss compact dumpers here

martyn williams

Re: Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Post #11 by martyn williams » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Just had a closer look at the gearstick,looks like the pin is sheared off.Just can make a circle out on the shaft about 3/4" from the end on the round bit.Looks like its been that way for a while with the marks the spring has left a long way down the shaft.
Just realised I last worked on one in 1982 :arrrrgh: Where has the time gone :dizzy:
Martyn

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #12 by oldbikeles » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:30 am

Hi Martyn. I don't understand what you mean, "it look like the pin has sheared off".
Obviously, I don't know exactly what it should look like. The manual I cited previously is slightly different to mine. The "pips" fitted into the inside of the gearstick "tower" are not present in mine. instead, the casting is "shaped" as if they are there. Perhaps mine is an earlier one, and later castings and machining simplified. (Or of course the other way round.)
I still don't follow exactly how the spring and the "spacer" (PLATE, spring retaining, a/c the spares listing) works. The manual seems to refer to some sort of fixing (unless I am misreading it). There is the suggestion of a long gone "witness mark" to which I think you refer. Is there meant to be some sort of a circlip, (but not shown in manual), or is the PLATE itself its own mounting? Or does the spacer ride on the top of the selector / neutral gate. With no plate or fixing yet found, clearly the spring itself was sitting on the selectors / neutral gate when I took off the gearbox cover.
Oldbikeles.

todd5

Post #13 by todd5 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:17 am

have a look at page 10 of the winget gearbox info. there is a flat plate by the looks of things that goes on the end of the shaft. i remember this too when i restored my winget muir-hill model 2s in 2003.

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #14 by oldbikeles » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:49 am

Hi there todd5. Yes, I have seen the plate in the manual. No plate present in mine, unless in the bowels of the box, which I will wash with kerosene later. My query is about Martyn's comment that the "pin has sheared off", that being the bit I don't understand. Now if somebody has a nice new plate, or an accurate drawing of it, then life will get clearer.
Thanks, oldbikeles.

essexpete

Post #15 by essexpete » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:10 pm

I know these machines are now old but it definitely pays to check the oil in these old gearboxes as they seem so prone to water ingress.
If they are standing out then a gater made out of some appropriate material?
Last edited by essexpete on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martyn williams

Post #16 by martyn williams » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:36 pm

If you clean off the gear lever with emery tape,this may show up if a pin was fitted.This must be there to keep tension on the spring and keep the spring off the top of the selector.
Could you scan the drawing in the manual so I can have a look Les ? I am trying to think back on when I worked on them but its 30 years ago now.There must be something to keep the spring up and tension it.I guess its a cup and a roll pin or just a pin.
Martyn

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #17 by oldbikeles » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:15 pm

Martyn, I downloaded the manual to my pc. I can print out the illustration, scan it and post it here, but it will obviously degrade. Please may I suggest you download the complete manual using the link I gave (4th posting) earlier. I think it will be more legible for you. There are a few minor differences from my gearbox.
Actually, if we have a moderator watching, perhaps he could download the manual to the files section (Do we have one?) and change my very long address to a simple link. This is actually the same Newage gearbox, but published by Winget; it may be relevant to other small dumpers etc..
I have just spoken to my pal Martin (with an "i") who presently has my stick and gearbox cover. His analysis is that the plate (plate, spring retaining) MUST sit on top of the neutral gate or appropriate selector fork, depending on if you are (a) in neutral, (b) in first or reverse, or (c) in second or third. This seems logical, and must mean there will be a plate somewhere in the bowels of the box. I have been out today, and it may be Monday (weather permitting) before I get to wash it out with kerosene, hopefully revealing all.
Les.

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #18 by oldbikeles » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Essexpete. Yes, I already have one, and it will be fitted on completion.
Cheers, Les.

Julian

Post #19 by Julian » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:35 pm

oldbikeles wrote:Here (I hope) is the missing photo.
les.

That's a very similar looking gearbox to my Thwaites.

Here's what you must look at carefully:

1. The plate with the slot in between the selector rails - this wears oversize.

2. The gearbox lever rod end, this wears undersize, both on thickness and on the north/south dimension.

The result is that that it becomes possible to get the lever into neutral without pulling a selector rail into neutral and then this gives you the possibility to engage two gears at once. Neither of these two scenarios are helpful!

To fix it you need the MIG welder and angle grinder and carefully build it all up with weld and grind to restore the profiles. I've got mine nice and tight now very little slop - good for another 50 years or so!

Julian.

todd5

Post #20 by todd5 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 am

posted some pictures of my preserved dumper on 'view new posts'. hope you fix yours soon

Return to “Compact Dumpers”