Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Discuss compact dumpers here

Topic author
oldbikeles

Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Post #1 by oldbikeles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:14 pm

I have been using this dumper on and off for 3 months now, mostly just shuffling backwards and forwards empty or full. When I bought the dumper, I tested it in a field and checked reverse and all 3 forward gears were OK. Two days ago, needing a bit of forward velocity to get through some soft sand with a load of clay, I selected either second or third. (not sure which). When I tried to select reverse, it was stuck in the gear, with gearstick wobbling pointlessly.
Obviously the (flattened ball) end of the gear stick had "escaped" the selector's slot.
When I removed the top cover with gear stick, I found a loose spring, with one turn broken off, around the lower part of the stick. Since it looked a mess down below, I drained the box; firstly water, then the dipstick, then some rusty emulsion. I know the answer to that lot!
However I am confused by the spring. Should it have a "washer" or suchlike below the spring? Maybe I should go fishing with an iron wire and a strong magnet.
When I loosely fit the cover, without spring, I can lift the stick more than 1/4", so wonder if I should extend the end of the stick (weld and regrind) to get more length, thereby ensuring a greater depth of engagement.
Does anybody have an exploded drawing of this part of the box, or the complete gearbox?
Not easy to read the brass plate on top of the gearbox, but it appears to say :-- CPR Motor Ltd. Coventry.there is a No., probably 19518, and a second one, 40M41- (I think) Stamped into the top casting itself is 40M220, and R*JH2 (do not know what the * should be.
Help. Oldbikeles.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi Les it would probably help if you could post some pictures of the parts concerned or even a drawing as its easier to picture what you want to do that way, sadly words are a bit lacking unless the reader is familiar with the components concerned.
I'm sure that somebody on here can help you, although I cannot picture this gearbox there are a few things that I would of tried, does the actual top come off this box? Because if it does then you should be able to clearly see the selectors also it will give you a much better indication at the state of the gearbox.
Also I would of had a feel around in the old oil too, use a pair of disposable nitrile gloves to do this, you'd be amazed at what you may find in there................ or brassed off in some cases.
Just a couple of ideas there whilst I cannot picture in my mind whats broken and what you want to weld I hope what I have said may be of some help.

Jeremy

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Hello Les
The spring is there to keep tension on the gearstick in the selector.I had a similar problem on my Major.I renewed the spring and built up the end of the gearstick with weld.Worked OK
Newage gearboxes are fitted to Liners,I would check for debris in the box and refill with new oil.
The problem I used to come across working on these boxes were bearings.
Martyn

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #4 by oldbikeles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks lads, now I can see the next step. i found a manual for the box here:--

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.winget.co.uk%2Fdocument%2FWORKSHOP%2520MANUAL%252040M2S%2520GEARBOX.pdf&rct=j&q=newage%20gearbox&ei=2QBLTYDdD8GbhQe-qbmXDw&usg=AFQjCNHfM29HD4HQwMGfSRVt-QiAJn0CXA&cad=rja

by searching on google for Newage gearboxes. I see there is a shaped washer at the bottom of the stick, which i can make. I shall extend the stick by 1/4", widen it slightly from nom. 1/4" to say 0.280" - 0.290". I will also try to post a pic of the top of box (cover removed) and the bottom of the gearstick.
Will let you know how it goes.
Oldbikeles.

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:35 pm

:thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #6 by oldbikeles » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:32 am

Here are two photos, into the gearbox with cover removed, and the lower end of the gearstick and slightly short spring. no spacing washer present. Obviously i will need to search the bottom of the box for its remains.
oldbikeles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #7 by oldbikeles » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:39 am

Sorry, i sent 2 photos of the gearstick. i then edited one out, and sent the one of the gearbox view, but so far it has not appeared. i will repost it if it does not appear soon.
Les.

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #8 by oldbikeles » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Here (I hope) is the missing photo.
les.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #9 by martyn williams » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:04 pm

I would give it a good clean out and check for any damage to gears etc.The gear stick end don't look that bad.
Martyn

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #10 by oldbikeles » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 pm

B100, yes, it certainly needs a good wash through. I had a poke around earlier, but could not find anything. Later it will get a good wash through, then another look for missing bits.
My pal is looking at it with me, and we are now thinking that just getting 0..250" to 0.300" more mesh will be satisfactory. It may be practicable to make a "spherical shim" between the gearstick and the gearbox cover.
I don't like / understand the way the "missing washer" is retained (not retained in my gearbox) beneath the spring.
Will report later when more thoughts sorted out.
Oldbikeles.

Return to “Compact Dumpers”