Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Discuss compact dumpers here

Topic author
oldbikeles

Re: Liner Roughrider, gearbox problem

Post #21 by oldbikeles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi all. I have now made some progress with this.
First task was to pour in about a pint of kerosene and run the engine in neutral for a few minutes.
I removed the drain plug, but only rusty coloured kerosene came out, no little bent plate. I could not see anything even with a torch, and fishing around did not locate anything. Oh! well, forget about it.
My gearstick and gearbox cover differ from those shown in the manual. (Maybe only the cover?) The two "PAD, gear lever", illus 64 are formed / machined in the cover casting.
The "bulbous part" of the gearstick is fixed in position by what appears to be silver solder. As mentioned previously, I measured 0.300" vertical movement in the gearstick when it was loosely assembled without spring etc,. The design is such that the gearstick could only have escaped the guide slots in the change mechanism by riding over the top of the selector fork when it was in (third) gear. Conclusion, raise the bulbous part so that the end of the gearstick seats 0.290" lower. A press, rather than heat, was used to break the solder seal, and positioned higher as mentioned above. In fact, rather than 0.010", there was possibly 0.040", but no chance of "escape" for the stick. This was then secured by drilling through and fitting a pair of roll pins, one inside the other. it was greased and assembled together with a new boot. I have left the spring and non-existent plate out from reassembly. Just in case there is a little plate anywhere, i have broken a piece of a rare earth magnet from a unit taken from and old computer hard drive, and with araldite, secured it in the brass drain plug. Maybe any "platelets" will gather there out of danger for next time I drain it off.
I started up, and now I have all gears again, and can continue with my work.
However, there is loads of slop in the lever, and so I will re-visit it with a plate and spring. I suspect that as well as stopping vertical play, the plate may well prevent side play by virtue of its shape.
What I need is an accurate description of the plate if anybody has easy access to a gearbox. A sketch and description must surely improve on the view shown in the spares list. i assume that no such new original part exists anywhere, so a good sketch will allow me to make one.
Les.

rob scotland

Post #22 by rob scotland » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:14 am

newbie posting.

does anyone have a operators/ workshop manual for a liner rough rider. the information transfer positioned below the seat has faded away .
I need to find out the oils and quantities for the diff and gearbox and spec for the brakes
its never as simple as it first seemed

Smalley mini digger 430 lister lpws3
Liner rough rider lr2 diesel

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #23 by oldbikeles » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi there. if you look back through this thread, I have given a link to a manual.
Gearbox oil. I used an EP 85 gear oil, fill to the mark on the dipstick.
Be sure to drain your gearbox (see earlier for what came out of mine), and why not remove those six screws to have a look inside the box.
If you do, perhaps you would measure up the "plate" at the end of the gearstick, since nobody else has yet "bitten"?
Thanks, Les.

rob scotland

Post #24 by rob scotland » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 pm

diff oil the same?
I'll take the top off the box and take a photo for you
its never as simple as it first seemed

Smalley mini digger 430 lister lpws3
Liner rough rider lr2 diesel

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #25 by oldbikeles » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Don't know about diff oil, have not changed it yet. Will take advice and let you know.
The photo appreciated, but if actual measurements of the little plate are possible, that would help enormously.
Thanks, Les.
p.s., just rang my pal who suggests Hypoid 80 or 90 suitable. I will change mine soon.

essexpete

Post #26 by essexpete » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Is the drive axle fitted with external drum brakes or internal discs?

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #27 by oldbikeles » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:24 am

Essexpete, the front drive axle is what I would regard as typical of the back axle of a car from 60 years ago, but without any suspension of course.
The diff is central, with the halfshafts leading out to the wheels, each of which has an ordinary internal expanding drum brake.
The brakes are operated by the foot brake, with an extra linkage to the hand brake which is pulled back into an "over centre" position to lock it on. There is a strange adjustment in the top of the hand brake which allows instant adjustment. Mine was rather worse for wear, but I made up a replacement part on my lathe, and it all works now. I am not sure if mine is as originally designed, but it works, and that is all that matters to me, since mine is for use, not to look at.
There is no brake on the rear, steering wheels.
Les.

Julian

Post #28 by Julian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:08 pm

oldbikeles wrote:Essexpete, the front drive axle is what I would regard as typical of the back axle of a car from 60 years ago, but without any suspension of course.

Not quite 60 years ago! The best info I have is that it's a Salisbury unit used on the likes of twin rear wheel Transit vans.

With the mighty total available horsepower totaling about 16 it should be good for about 500 years service provided you keep oil in it :)

Julian.

Topic author
oldbikeles

Post #29 by oldbikeles » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:23 pm

I am not really into Transits, but I see a diff in the middle, and a braked wheel at each side, and I think that is what I would have found on a Ford car in 1951. Not really relevant though.
Your 16 horse power interests me. My Petters AVA1 manual suggests between 3 and 6 HP according to speed, the 6HP being at 1,800 rpm. The nearest figure to 16 that I see is the compression ratio at 16.5.
Perhaps yours is a different model to mine!
Les.

Julian

Post #30 by Julian » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 pm

oldbikeles wrote:I am not really into Transits, but I see a diff in the middle, and a braked wheel at each side, and I think that is what I would have found on a Ford car in 1951. Not really relevant though.
Your 16 horse power interests me. My Petters AVA1 manual suggests between 3 and 6 HP according to speed, the 6HP being at 1,800 rpm. The nearest figure to 16 that I see is the compression ratio at 16.5.
Perhaps yours is a different model to mine!
Les.

Well most live axles had the diff in the middle and a wheel at each end! Specifically, in this case, the axle/diff on your dumper is likely to be the same make/model/or series as that fitted to the (heavyweight) twin wheel Transit. That's what a guy who worked for Fords, at Dagenham I think, told me a few years ago.

Regarding BHP, I though you had the PH2 engine, I just doubled up the power of my PH1 equipped Orion model, but I think I've got confused with another dumper project on the go here.

Julian.

Return to “Compact Dumpers”