1970's Benford 15cwt dumper steering box

Discuss compact dumpers here

Topic author
minimad220

1970's Benford 15cwt dumper steering box

Post #1 by minimad220 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi All

I need some help (don't we all for owning these things)
I've recently aquired a late 60's/early 70's Benford 15Cwt dumper.

It is in a very sorry state having been robbed of parts and sat on a very exposed hillside for 20+years.
It was obviously looked after once as all of the underside is thick with many decades of grease (plenty of moss growing on top of it now though) so the underside is not too bad.

My problem however, is the steering box has been opened at some time (a long time ago) the inside of the steering box is fused into a rusty lump and the steering column is also rusted completely solid.

Can anyone help? Were these steering boxes fitted to other vehicles? anyone any idea where i might be able to find something i can use to make a replacement?

I'll need to find out if i can repair the belt clutch as well at some point but i need to get the steering repaired first if we have any hope of getting it moving again.

Thanks
David

todd5

Re: 1970's Benford 15cwt dumper steering box

Post #2 by todd5 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:41 pm

sdarmstrong
Flag: Ireland

Post #3 by sdarmstrong » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:24 pm

How did you get on with this ?

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by cobbadog » Tue May 22, 2018 6:22 am

Is there any adjustments in these steering boxes? I have an unknown make / model dumper but I have been told it is a Benford and there is a bit of wear in it and makes it tricky to steer.
Cheers Cobba

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue May 22, 2018 7:25 am

cobbadog wrote:Is there any adjustments in these steering boxes? I have an unknown make / model dumper but I have been told it is a Benford and there is a bit of wear in it and makes it tricky to steer.

John I take it you mean that the dumper has "steering wander" so trying to travel in a straight line is an issue? Technically the steering box should have some adjustment assuming it's a worm type of box the worm can be adjusted by shims so that the correct clearance between it and the gear or wheel that its teeth engage with gives the correct clearance, I would also check the track rod end ball joints for wear as they could give similar problems if they were badly worn.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Wed May 23, 2018 12:22 am

A lot of these old steering boxes get damaged by water over the years and also never being checked for oil. If you have one that is wandery do as Jeremy suggests as it would be a good opportunity to clean it right out and check bearings as well.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #7 by cobbadog » Wed May 23, 2018 5:34 am

Cheers guys, yes the free play is in the steering box itself. All ball joints are in great condition. Once I get through the issues of getting a working hand brake then the next thing will be the steering. I haven't noticed any lock nut and screw set up like on some early style steering boxes similar to what's on the David Brown tractor so I am guessing that it will be a case of pulling the steering box apart to fix the problem.
Once I have positively identified the make then the model of our Dumper then I can try to source a workshop manual on the dumper itself. I already have one for the engine. But so far it appears it just might be a Liner - Roughrider?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Compact Dumpers”