Drott BTD-6 model B6 - K3 Skid Shovel Starter Motor Replacement

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
gordon West OZ
Flag: Australia

Drott BTD-6 model B6 - K3 Skid Shovel Starter Motor Replacement

Post #1 by gordon West OZ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:46 am

After several attempts to source a replacement Starter Motor for my Drott B6-K3 (circa 1957), I have managed to replace the original with a Modern day equivalent push button start. The unit is a perfect fit with no modifications required to engine back plate or starter motor. The unit is a motor over-mount reduction type delivering 2.5kw. Total time to install - mechanical fit 5 minutes, electrical wiring 10 minutes (three wires). The replacement starter motor is probably a third the weight of the original and only half the length.

Once in the Drott, the engine started instantly on the push of the ignition button, almost sounding like it was turbo boosted. All in all a very successful conversion.

Starter Motor details: JAS OCEANIA (company / supplier) Model SNJ 246 12V 2.5kw (Suits Denso)

Hope this info helps others looking for the elusive starter Motor.

In addition I have re-routed the air intake to draw air through a Land Rover oil base air cleaner mounted on the cockpit floor between the steering clutch levers. This allows for cleaner and more direct airflow to the engine - refer attachments

Gordon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Re: Drott BTD-6 model B6 - K3 Skid Shovel Starter Motor Replacement

Post #2 by martyn williams » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:42 am

Very interesting, as repair of the motors fitted to these machines can be expensive ..So its good to know that there is an alternitive motor on the market and a smaller unit :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing this information.
The air intake modification is in the same position in the later build B100 which did away with the twin oil bath air cleaner intakes.
So you have upgraded you machine with the intake revision.I would say your machine dates from the early 1960's but the track pads are similar to the very early machines.Do you have the serial number ?
Cheers
Martyn
PS Would like to put the motor details on my website as I have had a few enquires on motor replacement :thumbup:

Topic author
gordon West OZ

Post #3 by gordon West OZ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Martyn,

Unit is: International Drott BTD6 B6-K3 (International Harvester Co of Great Britain Ltd - Rubery Owen & Co LTD, Darlaston, Staffs.), International Serial Number: 6609 (crawler), Drott Serial Number: BD 1734, Engine Number BD/264/65601 - All info of original plates attached to machine, originally assembled and distributed by I.S.A.S in Belmont, West Aust (no longer operating but links to CASE tractors).

Feel free to share the starter motor details. "JAS Oceania" have an extensive range readily viewable via their catalogue on the net - not overly expensive considering the cost and reliability of repairing the original. The personnel at JAS were very helpful in sourcing this option.

Regards

Gordon

JimInOz

Post #4 by JimInOz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Hey Gordon,
That's interesting .The name JAS rings a bell ,but I'm not sure why...
As Martyn said,rebuilds & replacements for BTD6 starters are big bucks.
I'm glad you got your Drott up & running OK,& I'm sure you'll have lots of work waiting for it.

Jim

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Hello Jim
I will be picking up my 1957 BTD6 next month can't wait to get it home.There are a few jobs to do on it, bit its a sound machine.Already refurbished a set of worklights for it.
Still waiting for the TD6 starter,should be here this week.
Cheers
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimInOz

Post #6 by JimInOz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:47 am

Hey Martin,
You must have a good collection of Drotts by now.
She's a reasonably straight old girl.The bucket looks OK,unlike one I saw recently,which had a bend in the apron....probably from pulling on tree-stumps.
I've added a picture of me on my A100 Drott in 1991.It's a scanned photo & I'm unsure how to make it bigger & easier to see.The A100 was an Aussie version of the B100. I think the cushion spring was set up different,but engine,etc was same.
Notice the luxurious sunshade roof..made of metal sheeting.. I was happy to have it in the 45 Deg heat.

Did you check out that D31S on UK ebay ? It looks OK for 5900.I think it's a 17 or 18 series.(mid 80s).They put a 6 cyl in the 17 or 18 series units,& built them lighter than my old 16 series with the 4 cyl.

Hope the TD6 starter works OK.Did you get it in the USA?

Jim

martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Hello Jim,obtained a starter off a guy breaking a TD6 about 70 miles away.Hope to get it back from the repairers Thursday to try it out.The weather is horrible here,high winds and hail stones. Your machine looks good :thumbup:
Had a good look at the machine on Ebay.
Martyn

tomasp99
Flag: New Zealand

Post #8 by tomasp99 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:41 am

Gordon,
10 years later I wanted to say a huge thank you for posting your message. I spent a lot of time trying to fix and search for a replacement for the starter and found your post. Ordered one from JAS and waiting for it to arrive now.
Really appreciate it!!!

essexpete

Post #9 by essexpete » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:56 am

I guess we should all thank the guys who keep this site ticking!
On the subject of starter motors and in a similar but different way it is possible to substitute the old push lever type on Fordson diesels with a more modern inertia type. Not for those who like originality but I was told that starting performance is improved.

Return to “Track Loaders”