Anyone hear ever see an Eimco

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
TaylorLambert

Anyone hear ever see an Eimco

Post #1 by TaylorLambert » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:06 am

Heres a not so clear pic of a machine Im desperately trying to save. Its rare especially here. Its an old Eimco overshot loader or rocker loader. I dont have the specifics on the model or the year but it was used by Ballew and Roberts contracting later bought out by APAC. I met the owners of this machine several years ago buyin up some old Cat grader scarifier teeth he had for sale and to see his old DW21 scraper. I didnt know this machine was in back of his lot but found it when I was looking for him one day. I talked to my neighbor that had a company back then that worked with them and I was talking about Eimco over loaders and he told me of this one. When I realised it was the same machine he told me about watching it work in his hotmix plant loading hoppers. He told me that the Cat dealer came out with a new 922 trying to sell it to them for hopper loading.
He was out there seting up a deal for mix and the Cat dealer came out trying to getthe old Overloader retired. They set up a deal with Cat to get a loader man and run the 922 against the Eimco The aggregate piles were adjacent to the matching hoppers. When they started the 922 was right on there till the 3rd oad the Eimco was ahead all day.
Im trying to save this old girl from the torch later, or at least getting enough pics to save its memory. these were taken a couple summers ago too many trees Im trying to get the owner to let me cut them down.
The power control on the rear lifted the rocker up the let it slap the stops and it could hurl the load into a hopper. Older truckers say that it was hell loading a smaller truck when used in gravel loading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Re: Anyone hear ever see an Eimco

Post #2 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:57 am

Here is a smaller one now in a mueum that was on rails, ex a mine.

26-11-2005 112.jpg

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

JimInOz
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by JimInOz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:58 am

Here's a few Eimco pics I got from various sites.
I think there was a recent Eimco discussion on HEF Dozer forums.
Good luck with the project.

Jim

JimInOz

Post #4 by JimInOz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:27 am

More Eimco...
Eimco.jpg

Eimco Brochure.jpg

clockworklozenge

Post #5 by clockworklozenge » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:24 am

Topic author
TaylorLambert

Post #6 by TaylorLambert » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 am

Dave that was the small pnuematic Mucker as they called it that putthem in the business. I have a friend whose grandfather out west in Colorado has 2 of them in an old mine on his place. They rescued them from partway down the mine by hooking a schramm compressor to them at the same time driving them out to the top. Ive seen them demo them. They just throw the rubble over the back into a skip car very dangerously. They want to make a display anduse them both as working models for a mining museum they are planning.
Hey Jim I think I posted the Eimco over there at HEF last year. I ma member to as Taylortractornu, I have my D5B accident posted here to now lol. Right now Im stalled the old man wants an outrageous price for the loader. I may have to presrerve it with a camera.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by XS650 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 am

Is this one ? at the front :D
Not all those who wander are lost.

DaveS

Post #8 by DaveS » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 am

I've got some literature on them which I'll dig out, but it may be the same as the pieces alreary posted.

They built machines in Britain, including a very early articulated dumper with a Ford engine. Some of these were used on underground work in Scotland in the 60s loaded by Cat 977s with side-dump buckets.

Dave. S.
Last edited by DaveS on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimInOz

Post #9 by JimInOz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Taylor,I hope the machine gets saved.I'm sure there can't be too many left in restorable condition.
I've often wondered about the wear & tear on machine & operator,with regard to over-loaders. I'm sure if those things are loading all day,there's gonna be some grief during each day.
Also,I wonder about all the weight being transferred from one end of the machine,to the other...it's gotta be hard on the frame,running gear & operator's spine.
I'm sure the truckies wouldn't be happy either...
Anyone had a shot on an over-loader??

DaveS

Post #10 by DaveS » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:28 pm

Here we go, it was billed as "The world's finest tractor-excavator with cost saving advantages".

Power was from a 125 HP Cummins with Allison torque transmission.

Independent track drive was used with the ability to power one track back and the other forward.

Dave. S.

Return to “Track Loaders”