International 100b series 2 loader Help

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
wazzainoz

Re: International 100b series 2 loader Help

Post #21 by wazzainoz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:28 am

Ok thanks gentlemen
I am grateful for any and all information received so far.
Seems the 100b powershift is not held in high regard ,like most things with age the simpler the better i guess.
I'm not familiar with these machines so where would the drain plug be, under the trans or on the side,is there one or several
I don't recall a pressure gauge{only had one i think temp could be wrong} on the dash but if it was there it wasnt working .
Seems the value of this machine is falling faster than Obamas approval rating.
my only hands on is with a john deere 40c, a shoebox crawler but fun.
So what is it in the driveline that sends grown men running away screaming ,is it the smell of money burning. :lol:
Can a layman with a good set of manuals tear down and refit the driveline sending out only what needs special knowledge to fix
{I can just picture Seans face right now}. :doh:

JimInOz
Flag: Australia

Post #22 by JimInOz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 am

Hi Wazza,
I've never rebuilt a powershift or similar trans,only a few TD6 & 9 gearboxes.
I hear figures of 6-8K to fix a Cat D3 or Case 450 trans,but I assume that is labour & parts.Of course ,you get a lotta hours out of a D3 trans in commercial work...but an old farm crawler may be another story.
I think the worst part of your Drott's story, is the several years of sitting outside .If it had been towed into a shed, your only problem may have been a transmission.
Now things like steering & hydraulic must be accounted for.As well as rust in the undercarriage ,etc.
Someone more experienced may chip in & guide you further.

Jim

Topic author
wazzainoz

Post #23 by wazzainoz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:54 am

Yes Jim i know all about weather on machinery , machines wear out with use and wear faster with lack of use i think {imho}
every nut and bolt would be rusted on as well.
The steering does work i had it turning , i wouldn't say it was good but thought it might get better with work

sean

Post #24 by sean » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:28 am

Mate,its a long shot but the trans temp guage was fed with trans oil up to the guage through a tiny plastic pipe as thik as a pen reafill,mine fractured and spurted out a few gallon before we traced the fault,if you take off the plastic gauge consol you will see it,if this has broken it will have emptyd the trans tank.the drain plug is under machine about just over half way.

Topic author
wazzainoz

Post #25 by wazzainoz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 am

Hello Sean
Memory is a bit fuzzy on the dash it except the screws were missing {not a good sign}, but i only remember the one gauge and don't think it was pressure,how many should it have ? 2 or more.
The trans dipstick had two marks upper and lower with confusing labeling like run and stop on the one mark but
it seemed to be full to the upper level , is that where it should be ?

sean

Post #26 by sean » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:35 am

Has three guages-trans temp and pressure,and water temp.yeh it would leak from pressure guage, sorry.When engine is running bottom mark,when cold top mark for check ing trans level.i got manual here so all info correct.off to work now.

martyn williams

Post #27 by martyn williams » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:22 pm

I have done a few transmission builds on 100/125 B but it was over 25 years ago. :dizzy: where has the time gone.
The engine on these machines are easier to remove than their older B100 cousins.Faults I have found with the internals of the convertor have been caused by poor maintenance wrong or poor quality oil,not changing the oil every 900 hours along with filter change,blocked strainer was a common fault.Also seals that have gone hard or worn out.Broken impellars etc
Hopefully you will not need to get to that stage.
Dont forget to bleed the system via the screw on the oil cooler.
Please keep us updated on progress.
Martyn
Photo of a 125 cab,similar layout to the 100B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
wazzainoz

Post #28 by wazzainoz » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:34 am

OK thanks Sean and Martyn
I had a look through at my pics don't have any of dash,only this one ,if you enlarge it you can see two gauges? i think.
Jumping the gun i know but are the parts available for transmission rebuild ,i imagine i would have to bring them in from
UK or US ,i did for the 40c ,could get some bits locally but the price" oh boy".
Can the converters be repaired or exchanged ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
wazzainoz

Post #29 by wazzainoz » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:46 am

Opps
Under the "Cat" it should say or would this one be cheaper.{which one is the international ,add some weather + years}
Doesn't look much different on the outside does it.

martyn williams

Post #30 by martyn williams » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:30 am

Hopefully an oil and filter change will cure your problem.
The "fluid flywheel" is a simple device,if I remember its around two feet in diameter,the casing is in two segments that are bolted together.this is attached to the flywheel.I would think that you would be able to find a company that would be able to refurbish it for you.I took photos many years ago of a job we did on a 100 B,but that was in 1981/82 .
I have had to put my thinking cap on to remember the job.I know it took a morning to remove the engine as the hard nose bolts were very tight.Once the front is off,engine access is very good.
We renewed the seals and the rotor,which was damaged.
Anyway take it one bit at a time,a good mate of mine done his apprentiship with Saviles.I may give him a ring,as we have done a few Drott overhauls together.
Cheers
Martyn

Return to “Track Loaders”