B100 Drott Restoration Project

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
jimmymc
Flag: Great Britain

B100 Drott Restoration Project

Post #1 by jimmymc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Good evening gents,

I've recently acquired a B100 and plan on tearing it down and restoring, it's all there and pretty original looking it is mechanically sound, good running gear etc but there was a problem with the engine (im convinced it was fuel) and the engine was stripped a bit, an injector removed and the rocker cover taken off, but unfortunately it was left open to the elements so there is now an engine full of oil and water.

My plan is to get it transported this weekend back to HQ and drain the water off and expel any water from the cylinders . My plan is to see if I can get it turning over before I pull the tank and get the diesel in a clean tank, filters changed and just a general health check on the fuel system before I try and get it running. Do you think lying for 6 months waterlogged will be the end for this engine or do you think it'll go? im positive it can run! :D .

Its been around for sale for a long time but I had never got a chance to go see it, the current owner has however had the gas axe out to one of the crowd rams before he fortunately ran out of gas! :cry:

Here are couple of pics of it as its sits.

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

Any info on where I can get spares would be greatly appreciated, i'm willing to do a full engine rebuild if necessary , but would rather not have to!
I think ive found rebuild kits for the BD264 in OZ ?????

I will post more when I get it back to the yard and set about it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hair bear

Re: B100 Drott Restoration Project

Post #2 by hair bear » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:51 pm

I've not had much experience with these but from what I can remember once you'd had the fuel system apart they were a right basket to bleed so don't be surprised if it's a piglet to start! Having back up batteries on had could be an advantage when you get to that point.
Good luck, and let us know what you find.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
jimmymc

Post #3 by jimmymc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks Rob, I need to get some batteries dug out for when I get round to attempting to start it.
I suppose time will only tell if it'll run ! Fingers crossed!

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:00 pm

Good luck with it :thumbup: I would advise carefully turning the engine by hand before trying to turn it with a starter motor; it will depend on how much water got into the engine and how much damage it's done, the cylinder where the injector was left out could be a problem, you may need to free that off if the piston has seized in the bore, there are ways to do that I'm sure Fred Evans could offer you some good advice. Let us know how you get on. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
jimmymc

Post #5 by jimmymc » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

I was thinking of filling the cylinders with Diesel? Nothing to lose I suppose?
It'll be a mission I think! But I've nothing better to do with myself so I'm going to get on with it! Hopefully I'll have it at least turning over by Sunday.

Topic author
jimmymc

Post #6 by jimmymc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Well, went off this morning to go pick up the B100, loaded it up, gathered up all the parts and headed back to HQ.

Unloaded , gave it a good wash and got it sitting in the shed ready for some fettling !
So , In summary, it doesn't run , steering clutches and direction levers are seized solid, running gear is good, its all there and some spares, I may have been a bit ambitious in saying I'd have it turning over by Sunday, but then again I didn't actually say which Sunday !

I have some pics from today.

The serial number is from inside the left hand cover, it sure if this is the machines number or not?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Jamie you have got it and that is the main thing plus it looks like you have somewhere nice and dry to start work on her so I would say that's a pretty good start. :rockon:

Jeremy

Topic author
jimmymc

Post #8 by jimmymc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Yes Jeremy that is the main thing, and the big shed is also a bonus, also have fleet of road railers out in the yard to do the heavy lifting , just need to get the a/f kit looked out.

Can't wait to get it going though, not driven a manual for years, first dozer I ever drove was a manual komatsu d60p . If I could find one of those! :D

modelman093

Post #9 by modelman093 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:42 am

Interesting project, please keep us posted - plenty of images, the good, bad and hopefully not too ugly.

Topic author
jimmymc

Post #10 by jimmymc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Angus there is definitely some ugly!
I'll get some pics on Monday!

Return to “Track Loaders”