Interesting Specs Page & Cat 931 Query

Discuss track loaders here

Topic author
Diggerpete1961
Flag: Great Britain

Interesting Specs Page & Cat 931 Query

Post #1 by Diggerpete1961 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:08 am

Came across this page of old specs, flyers info, many old loaders & dozers on here
http://murphyused.com/specs.php Enjoy
Reading up on the 931, it seems there was a choice of the typical Cat 3F 3R powershift & a 3F 1R powershift. I knew the machine was built by Mitsubishi (under licence) & the machines destined for the Japanese / Asia market had a 'direct drive powershift - with inching pedal / clutch (as sub 100 HP Komatsu) The torque converter 3F + 3R was for western markets & supplied by Cat - When problems came with this (machine was withdrawn for a while) Mitsubishi stood by the Direct powershift which was trouble free. I knew nothing of the 3F + 1R at all. Also there was an optional accelerator or decelerator pedal, I never saw one with this.
I always felt this last was a feature lacking on the Cat Traxcavators as the D6C blade did have a decelerator. I know a driver going from say a 941 to a 125B or Case would shift direction at full revs & without braking - eventually killing the tranny. If you started on IH & Case powershift as I did you would be easier on it. I was only a youngster in the heyday of the 100/125B but the consensus of the older guys was that they needed an extra lower gear, as they had from memory Lo 3.7 & Hi 4.5 meaning a lot of slippage & heat when under heavy load. The Case lowest was about 2.4 dependent on which model. Generally on the 450A it was thought the low range 2 speeds was all that was needed when on site, just shift ranges if on a long travel, & only go to 4th if you kept the revs down to reduce track wear.
The thing regarding deceleration was that you needed some revs to work the bucket hydraulics but not too many when shifting direction. This is where the Komatsu inching pedal came in, nice tracking control & revs to work the hyds - oil immersed clutches should last the life of machine. Also the lack of a wasteful torque converter at part revs (fuel was an imported costly item to the Japanese) What do other old trackshovel drivers think was the best transmission set up???

Topic author
Diggerpete1961

Re: Interesting Specs Page & Cat 931 Query

Post #2 by Diggerpete1961 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Forgot to add this link http://www.midwaysales.com.au/dozers-for-sale.html
These appear to be the last conventional track loaders made in the world, there is a 2x2 DD powershift & manual versions. The manual machines look similar to the Yuchai sold in the states, but are said to be made by 'Dongfeng' I know nothing further of them. On here I have seen Macmoter crawlers mentioned, sadly it seems this Italian firm is no more. The did a nice 6 tonne front engined shovel, I saw one at work on hols

Dah

Post #3 by Dah » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 pm

The shovel and dozer combo it unusual. I thought having a split bucket allowed you to doze and load without having two set-ups.

Dave

Topic author
Diggerpete1961

Post #4 by Diggerpete1961 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Dave, the blade & bucket are only shown like that as a demonstration, you normally have one or the other on, control hydraulics & quick fit ends are common to both equipments. Idea I think came from Bob Rooks in the USA, he ordered a Yuchai crawler with both a blade mount & the loader frame (towers) already on, & both equipments in a shipping container. he himself added the snap fit hyd connectors. There was once a fit on angledozer attachment that went on the B100 loader in place of the bucket, it had nothing hydraulic though. Only ever saw one. For me the 4 in 1 would be the thing rather than a blade, as you can produce side tilt by another means
Re these little crawlers my question in each case would be what is the price of a pair of replacement sprockets & chains (rails in USA???) for any one of the models shown, & for that matter are the chain pins pressed in, & do Stricklands or anyone with a track press still exist? I am thinking of turning the pins throu 180 at half the life of the chains. (was often about 1500 hrs ?)

JimInOz
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by JimInOz » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:53 pm

The early 78U Loader & 79U D3 had the 3F/1R transmission.
The 931 & D3 were popular here in the 70s/80s & still command 20+ Grand .

I own a Mitsubishi BS3F Crawler-Loader with DPS.Great when pushing stumps or doing finicky work.They were well made & the J series were the last in a long line,ending a few years back.CAT Worldwide swallowed them up.

Those Chinese Loaders & Crawlers are rubbish.I think they ask about 40K for one of those FUDA combined Loader/Dozer...I'd rather find an old 931 or Mitsubishi to restore & use.IT's a shame that there are no good small Crawler-Loaders & dozers being made.
I saw a low houred Chinese loader that had developed an oil leak,& had broken a corner of the bucket off!
One of my customers had a Chinese Crawler loader that bent it's boom,& the machine was written off.
I reckon the melting pot at the Chinese factory is a mix of metal & plastic..& whatever is laying around .

Return to “Track Loaders”