Private HGV & Tachos (only for UK residents)

v64paul

Re: Private HGV & Tachos (only for UK residents)

Post #11 by v64paul » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:30 pm

E series eh, cant beat em. The factory parts source that used to be in Widnes has now moved to Ellesmere Port (in the workshop i used to be based in....) I've now been moved over to the dark side (MAN).
there are old fitters and bold fitters but no old bold fitters...

Topic author
Julian

Post #12 by Julian » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:32 pm

v64paul wrote:E series eh, cant beat em. The factory parts source that used to be in Widnes has now moved to Ellesmere Port (in the workshop i used to be based in....) I've now been moved over to the dark side (MAN).

It is a good machine for me in that there's no clever stuff on it that's expensive to replace/repair or now made from unobtanium. It's costing me far less that the series Landrover to run, it's a shame the fuel consumption isn't terrific and it's a bit big for the parking spaces in supermarkets otherwise I think I'd use it as my regular transport!

Blakes (were I get it tested) is a good place, they once ran a fleet of them and generally have a look round it and pass a few tips on to me - this years was that the throttle linkage can fall apart but can be repaired temporarily by wiring it back up again!

The VOSA chap was a bit of a 'brakes' nut case and he wanted the trailer loaded up (with IBC's full of rocks) to maximum weight, this made the front of the unit point up a bit and so the headlights were too high. Thankfully I found a Phillips screwdriver and the adjusters on the headlights hadn't seized up so all was put right. :) I think all the VOSA chaps have their own little foibles, it's pot luck what they get excited about!

Julian.

incrediblered

Post #13 by incrediblered » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 am

Julian wrote:My ERF E12 tractor unit is due for it's annual MOT in March. It's a private HGV ie no operators licence etc. I notice that the tacho, an old fashioned paper disc type, carries a 2 year inspection sticker that expired at the end of last year. It's currently SORNED and not insured. (as it's not used in the winter)

So I was wondering:

1. Is there a requirement to have a valid inspection sticker on private HGV?
2. Does anyone in the North West know were I can get it done?

I'll ask at Blakes, were I get the test done, this week. But I have found that the VOSA chaps are not always totally 'up to speed' on these technicalities!

Julian.

Random question what is the mot cost for a vehicle like this?

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”