Hope anti-jacknife device

Topic author
canaldrifter

Hope anti-jacknife device

Post #1 by canaldrifter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:52 pm

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44351

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2309

I had an AEC fitted with one of these. It worked in a straight line, but if you had to brake when cornering, you lost steerage.

I found in bad conditions you were better off with an independent trailer auxiliary hand-operated brake.

Tone

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Hope anti-jacknife device

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:38 pm

If my memory serves me correctly Dunlop made an anti-jacknife device that worked off a sensor on the rear axle prop shaft, I think it was called something like the Dunlop Maxerett system?
I have never driven a vehicle with any kind of anti-jacknife device to offer my opinion, the Dunlop one worked by sensing when the rear drive axle locked up.

Jeremy

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by modelman093 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:If my memory serves me correctly Dunlop made an anti-jacknife device that worked off a sensor on the rear axle prop shaft, I think it was called something like the Dunlop Maxerett system?
I have never driven a vehicle with any kind of anti-jacknife device to offer my opinion, the Dunlop one worked by sensing when the rear drive axle locked up.

Jeremy

Yes it was . I believe it was a development of their anti lock system for aircraft.

Topic author
canaldrifter

Post #4 by canaldrifter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:05 pm

modelman093 wrote:
Jeremy Rowland wrote:If my memory serves me correctly Dunlop made an anti-jacknife device that worked off a sensor on the rear axle prop shaft, I think it was called something like the Dunlop Maxerett system?

Jeremy

Yes it was . I believe it was a development of their anti lock system for aircraft.

Indeed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxaret

It was my job once to maintain such systems on Sea Vixens. It worked very well, if the pilot had the system correctly selected.

Not a plant yarn, but the following tale was typical:

http://www.christchurchavsoc.co.uk/seavixen-experiences.html

Tone

Julian

Post #5 by Julian » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:02 am

modelman093 wrote:Yes it was . I believe it was a development of their anti lock system for aircraft.

The first Maxaret system used on aircraft, like the HS748, was a hydromechanical device. It consisted of a small unit(s), incorporating a small wheel which ran on the inside of each main-wheel rim, thus it was able to detect wheel deceleration. Deceleration above a certain threshold would cause valves within the module to reduce hydraulic pressure to the brake unit in question.

The Dunlop system on the artic tractor units, and also the Lucas/Girling 'Skid Check,' which was almost the same, was an electronic ABS system that modulated pneumatic pressure to the rear brake main relay valve. (Haldex made some of these)

Because these early systems only worked on the driven or rear axle and was not a complete ABS system per-se, it was marketed as an anti-jacknife device.

I have the 'skid-check' system on my 1987 ERF E12 and it still functions to this day!

Julian.

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”