Gardner 8LXB and 8LXCT motors

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Gardner 8LXB and 8LXCT motors

Post #21 by tctractors » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:00 pm

The 180 and 240 engines used to snap the water pump drive shafts and could leak a bit of blood on the floor, they also had the inlet valves pin locked to stop rotation as they had a shroud on the valve head to cause air rotation in the bore like in the leyland 4/6-98 engines locked with woodruff keys, gaffers loved 180's and 240's but the drivers struggled in the cold cabs, I can tell a Gardner engine from any other motor blind folded just by smell, the Testers Manual had an oil leak allowance set down 5" circle in 5 min's to cope with the amount of 180's running at the time, this item has been removed from the book now.
tctractors

Mark Williams

Post #22 by Mark Williams » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Hello Paul,
It might be worth contacting L&H Group the engine & powertrain rebuilders in the UK,for information.
They have a wide experience of engine skills.
If its spares & used engines your looking for,K&J services can track down these for you I,m sure,ask for Dave Lewis, or Glyn Cullen.
Regards,
<
Mark Williams.

Topic author
Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #23 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks very much Mark I will give them a google and see what I can find

Interesting enough I have stumbled across a thread on "Truck Net" forum and there sure are some mixed feelings about Gardner engines but I guess that is common with all things 54 pages of mixed feelings on there LOL Im only up to page 15 and how shall I put it "there is some quite spirited discussion" it would appear that quality control was a problem near the end in the 80's but to be fare quality control was a real problem in just about everything in the 80's or at least thats the way I remember it.

Have learnt L 2 and L 3 was the engine size per cylinder L2 1.4 ltrs and L3 3 ltrs and all cast iron and they were boat motors
LW means lite weight and had the cast aluminium crank case for automotive use
LX was the same only a later model

the B and the C not really to sure what they mean but I think they were just later models of the same thing

C had different injector pumps ???? and no doubt other stuff as well

the 8 LXCT was 300 HP at around 888 foot pounds of torque which sounds like a bit of a goer to me
Interesting enough the Mack Maxidynes and Thermodynes always felt a bit gutless compared to a GM and Cummins BUT if you compare them over a trip they were just as quick most times quicker and fuel consumption was a lot better than a GM or Cummins GM and Cummins would round you up on the flat between hills but the Mack would eat them alive going up the hill
If you have a double decker stock crate or a Van trailer on and are pushing across big open country with no trees and a head wind the Mack eats them alive Im talking about a 300 Maxidyne or 320 Thermodyne compared to say a 8 92GM or a 400 Cummins

People say they lost out to the HP race I dont know about that for sure Mack in Australia 6 cylinders were only making 320 HP in the early 80's and 350 by the late 80's and still sold well

I think like most things there was a lot more at play than just Gardner motors getting behind in the power race they had to have trucks to put them in and with demise of the UK auto industry in full swing by then I guess never helped either

is this the L&H you are talking about Mark http://www.lh-motorsltd.co.uk/ or maybe this one http://www.lh-group.com/

and I gather this the K&J you mentioned ??? http://www.kjservices.co.uk/machine-sales.aspx

Thanks very much for everyones help and input in my search to learn about straight 8 Gardners I have another 40 odd pages to read on truck net ????? waiting for rain so I can stop farming for a bit and sit down and read

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #24 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun May 29, 2016 10:31 pm

Not sure were to bung this picture up but here is as good as any place, nice figures for its day I reckon and a lot of more modern trucks today would never match these figures

Was reading about Aboods Deka cab Fodens with the 8LXB and they turbo charged them out to 300 hp as gross weights increased so that would have been 42 ton and tri axle trailers there are photos of their curtain sided tautliners hooked onto the back of the Delta cab Fodens and they ran these interstate up and until the early 2000's I think ???maybe even a little later

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Return to “Trucks/Lorrys”