New rules and regs from CPCS

News from the market and industry

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New rules and regs from CPCS

Post #21 by bigkit » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Adam,

I think a mate of mine went on that trip, Matt Lonsdale. I take it you didn't get the job either. Matt said it was great but hard work doing the presentation bit!

adamec140

Post #22 by adamec140 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:19 pm

bigkit wrote:Hi Adam,

I think a mate of mine went on that trip, Matt Lonsdale. I take it you didn't get the job either. Matt said it was great but hard work doing the presentation bit!

Evening Clive,

Small world!! Yeah nice fella Matt, think he had a fair bit of experience on the d8s and boxes. We were horrified to find out they wanted us to do a half hour presentation on 'excavator loading techniques' :o Believe me, thats harder than it seems!
Just found a pic 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bigkit

Post #23 by bigkit » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 pm

I can believe it! And didn't you have to place an orange with a 30t 360 and selecta grab in front of an audience? :insomnia: :o

martyn williams

Post #24 by martyn williams » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 pm

It seem the UK are being screwed as other EU countries just ignore things like regulations if it don't suit them.We should do the same.
Martyn

adamec140

Post #25 by adamec140 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 pm

bigkit wrote:I can believe it! And didn't you have to place an orange with a 30t 360 and selecta grab in front of an audience? :insomnia: :o

Indeed we did, had to place it on top of a traffic cone after picking it up without squashing it 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Martyn Henley

Post #26 by Martyn Henley » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:03 pm

CPCS dont have a paver catagory!!!!!!!!!!!

:doh: dont tell everyone them Clive, money grabbing pen pushers will soon have one to get money into their coffers ..

Trouble is Martyn them that have to be obeyed have to panda to Europe, the only reason i can see is because we have so many jobs worth in this country that have to do everything by the book :arrrrgh:

I would like to hear from just one person that feels that these rules are doing good for the industry

Martyn

Jeremy Rowland

Post #27 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 pm

I hate to put the cat among the pidgeons here but I think you will find that it is law that you should have training to operate any type of machine and also should be re-trained after an a given period of time (which is never stated).
I believe this crap is taken from the Management of Health & Safety Welfare Regulations 1999 which I am just covering under my study for a NEBOSH general certificate, I had always wondered where this crap had come from as I did not want to have the trouble of organising the re-training (refresher courses) for any of the chaps where I work to operate the fork lift trucks.
That being said the CPCS must be the recognised training standard for machinery operators in the construction industry, therefore operators are deemed to be trained to the given standard and thus are classed as competent.
I do recall reading a case off the HSE website where a company were fined because an operator of a fork truck did not have a current certificate, I think the HSE will accept up to five years but all the training companies recommend 3 years (hmm what a surprise there). I was also quite disgusted to find that this crap was even being applied to abrasive wheels as I did an abrasive wheels course back in 1996 which is now out of date.
The real big problem is that the law in most certainly not clear on what training should be given to who and where and how long that training should be considered to be sufficient, but heaven forbid you should have an accident in the mean time.
Training applies to everything from a butchers meat cleaver to an aircraft or a screw driver, I make sure that all the guys at the company where I work are trained, specially where cranes or fork lifts are concerned.
Tis all jobs for the boys too, no wonder our industry is going down the pan fast.

Jeremy

Topic author
Martyn Henley

Post #28 by Martyn Henley » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Is this the shops and factorys act that you are talking about Jeremy ... this crap goes back to the mid eighties

Martyn

Jeremy Rowland

Post #29 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Martyn Henley wrote:Is this the shops and factorys act that you are talking about Jeremy ... this crap goes back to the mid eighties

Martyn

Martyn it goes back a lot further, it started with the Factories Act in 1961 and that progressed to the Health and Safety at Work Act etc 1974 (thats its full title).

There are many good things with the law but unfortunately we have got lost due to all the compensation and lets blame somebody attitude that folk take. This has lead to more and more Laws, Acts, Regs, ACOP's etc.

To be honest its very hard to comply with the law these days on issues of Health & Safety, I am now trying to learn all this crap as I will have to pass a couple of exams to get my NEBOSH qualification, and its mind numbingly boring too, guess I have a good cure for insomnia :insomnia:

Once I 've got my head round this I may post some quotes from the different Acts to try and explain where it comes from and how its applied in law.

Jeremy

bigkit

Post #30 by bigkit » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Are you sure thats a good idea? :shifty: We wont be able to claim ignorance then! :shock:

I know we should, but do we really want to know? :roll:

You keep studying Jeremy, if we're in a fix you might just make a consultant afterall!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “News”