Nicks Blog | Cat and Komatsu dumptruck graveyard

News from the market and industry

Topic author
RSS Bot

Nicks Blog | Cat and Komatsu dumptruck graveyard

Post #1 by RSS Bot » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Mike Bullock sent in this amazing series of photos from Russia where hundreds of heavy dumptrucks from top manufacturers Caterpillar and Komatsu just seem to have been abandoned and left to the ravages of the wind,rain and snow.

So who can afford to just let these earthmoving monsters rot away like this? Well apparently these old trucks are owned by a massive diamond mining company for whom money appears to be no object. When these trucks have reached a certain age they simply park them up and buy a whole new fleet!

© Copyright 2009
http://www.contractjournal.com/blogs/digger-blog/2009/10/cat_and_komatsu_dumptruck_grav.html

alan627b

Re: Nicks Blog | Cat and Komatsu dumptruck graveyard

Post #2 by alan627b » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:26 pm

I've seen some similar pics from a diamond mine in South Africa, I think, maybe Debeers. To prevent smuggling, nothing ever leaves the property once it's retired. I'd love to wander that boneyard! The one pic I saw had stuff at least back into the 50's in vintage resting there.
You can see a ton of abondoned things on a website titled English russia.
http://englishrussia.com/
Retro Grading, We Do Modern Jobs with Antique Machinery

newjcb123uk

Re: Nicks Blog | Cat and Komatsu dumptruck graveyard

Post #3 by newjcb123uk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Yes I believe your right Alan - crazy as it seems to us the main reason for keeping all on site that arrives on site is to prevent diamond smuggling. Although you'd have thought it would be worth while for each diamond company to organise an in-house scrapping or spare parts stripping programme - there's bound to be a profit in that. :dizzy:
"A man reaps what he sows"

Return to “News”