wiring JCB 3c M11 starter Motor

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
time travel

Re: wiring JCB 3c M11 starter Motor

Post #11 by time travel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:35 am

Hi

Just about the last post. Could the green light be the dynamo warning light?

Thanks
John

Mark.Rive

Post #12 by Mark.Rive » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:22 pm

time travel wrote:Hi

I have updated the post :-)

Many thanks Martyn for the links I did not have the operator file :thumbup:

Besides the inner dash board controls on page 2 my dash has only a starter switch and green light on the far left top of the dash board. This has the red wire from the starter switch going to it.

-----------------------------

Wiring update:

There are four brown wires.
One White/red stripe
One Green/black stripe (not connected in dash been cut) Not sure of it function?
One Brown/Black stripe (alternator or dynamo side)

Two brown go to a single brown on the key switch.

Alternator/dynamo three connections:
Two brown go to the into a double plug (male) On to the top and one to the bottom. Both holes have a + sign and

the top connection has a sign IND and it is a spade connector Brown/Black stripe. This goes back to the some form of green button on dash that can be pushed in.
It (green button) also has a red wire from the key switch connected to it and a earth wire.

you were right Mark re the white/red goe to a white/yellow which connects to the key switch. Thanks

So the starter switch has three connections:
Brown
White/Yellow
red

I am getting a little excited :-)

John

Hi John, here goes with the colour code.
Brown is Positive 12Volts. you probably knew that :thumbup:
Brown/black is feed from Dynamo to Voltage regulator. Terminal "F". Assumes you have Dynamo?
Green/black is the fuel gauge, fuel sender wire.
Red wires are used to feed the front/side and tail lights, so I imagine this as been added in. only guessing though.

i think the green indicator on the dash is to confirm the dynamo is charging. Assuming it is a dynamo! I'm sure someone else may know for sure though.
Hope you get it fired up soon :thumbup: Mark

Topic author
time travel

Post #13 by time travel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:37 am

Mark.Rive wrote:
time travel wrote:Hi

I have updated the post :-)

Many thanks Martyn for the links I did not have the operator file :thumbup:

Besides the inner dash board controls on page 2 my dash has only a starter switch and green light on the far left top of the dash board. This has the red wire from the starter switch going to it.

-----------------------------

Wiring update:

There are four brown wires.
One White/red stripe
One Green/black stripe (not connected in dash been cut) Not sure of it function?
One Brown/Black stripe (alternator or dynamo side)

Two brown go to a single brown on the key switch.

Alternator/dynamo three connections:
Two brown go to the into a double plug (male) On to the top and one to the bottom. Both holes have a + sign and

the top connection has a sign IND and it is a spade connector Brown/Black stripe. This goes back to the some form of green button on dash that can be pushed in.
It (green button) also has a red wire from the key switch connected to it and a earth wire.

you were right Mark re the white/red goe to a white/yellow which connects to the key switch. Thanks

So the starter switch has three connections:
Brown
White/Yellow
red

I am getting a little excited :-)

John

Hi John, here goes with the colour code.
Brown is Positive 12Volts. you probably knew that :thumbup:
Brown/black is feed from Dynamo to Voltage regulator. Terminal "F". Assumes you have Dynamo?
Green/black is the fuel gauge, fuel sender wire.
Red wires are used to feed the front/side and tail lights, so I imagine this as been added in. only guessing though.

i think the green indicator on the dash is to confirm the dynamo is charging. Assuming it is a dynamo! I'm sure someone else may know for sure though.
Hope you get it fired up soon :thumbup: Mark

Hi Mark

Seems that the wiring has been slightly changed. Quite a bit has been cut under the dash.

So on the fuel tank there is a red wire that goes to the gauge. What is a fuel sender wire? Does that go to the air inlet manifold?
The black/brown goes from the dynamo to that green light/push button(maybe reset)?
No lights and all light wires have been cut.

I really appreciate your replies.

One of the young boys is coming up this weekend, so should have the starter motor sorted out. I will leave the dynamo not connected as there is no fuse or terminal connections. that way no fire/sparks and I can sort that out later.

Thanks
John

Mark.Rive

Post #14 by Mark.Rive » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi John, fuel sender wire just runs from the fuel gauge to the fuel sender in the tank. so you have a live feed to the gauge, then in your machine a red wire runs from the gauge to the fuel sender, the sender sits in the tank and is basically a variable resistor (similar to the old volume knob on your radio) and has an arm attached with a float on the end. As the fuel is used the float and arm drop, being connected to the resistor this changes the resistance and the fuel gauge needle drops down too :thumbup: i hope that makes sense, I know how it works but sometimes my brain cant get it onto the screen :dizzy: Not sure about your dynamo wiring, if I just lived down the road from you i would come and have a look. Sounds like you'll get it sorted soon anyway. Cheers Mark

Topic author
time travel

Post #15 by time travel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:04 am

Hi

Just an update.

Starter in
All brown go to the positive of the starter
White/red goes to one of the splade terminals (tried both one worked)

Turned key and motor turned :rockon: :D

Jobs todo:
So now to find a better earth for the battery.
Fix welsh plug that one of the boys played with (very slight leak and he pushed a screw driver againt it and pop) Needed to be done any way :dizzy:
Put oil in motor and gearbox
Fix fuel delivery to filters (lift pump gone)
Finally finish draining Backacter (oil went to grease and about 1.5lt water in it, I guess 20 years since oil changed)

and away she goes. I have not named her yet :)

So thanks all and hope you like the little smilies I was very hapy to see it turn over with the key
John

PS. Spoke to the old owner yesterday and he was shocked I was playing with it so much. I said when you are an old girl you need to be spruced up a bit (and I bet she feels the same). He did nothing with it for 5-6years and I guess the previous did nothing as it was sittling ina yard for a long time not going.

I am so glad I found this forum

Return to “Tech Talk”