CAV Pump Timing Problems

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
Gdaddy68

CAV Pump Timing Problems

Post #1 by Gdaddy68 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:33 pm

I have a CAV injector pump on my Massey Ferguson 235 a DPA 3233F360. I rebuilt a rebuild job where the previous mechanic did not replace the crank, oil pump or water pump. He undoubtably timed the engine according to his "back yard" way of timing. The engine will run with starter fluid but I am having trouble getting the injector pump timed.
I have done:
Rechecked timing gears and marks.
Bled the fuel lines.
Replaced the fuel lines.
Ordered a seal kit for the pump.

Where can I get a Pressure gauge to check the timing of the pump?

martyn williams

Re: CAV Pump Timing Problems

Post #2 by martyn williams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 pm

If you have got fuel to the bleed screws on the pump,slacken off the injector pipes and see if you are getting fuel up to the injector,make sure that you have got all the air out of the system.Put plenty of fuel in the tank.Have you got a lift pump fitted ? Recheck your timing on No 1 cylinder, injection should be around 23 deg before TDC. The pump may need a service.DPA pumps can cause problems if they are not looked after with dirty diesel pumped through it. Make sure that the stop lever is in run position.I have seen people caught out by not connecting it.
Martyn
look at this :thumbup: It may help you,click on link.
http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/Lucas%20CAV%20DPA%20injection%20pump%20instruction%20book.pdf

Topic author
Gdaddy68

Post #3 by Gdaddy68 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Thank you my friend! this PDF is excellent! It lets me know that I don't want to tackle opening up that Pump!
Gdaddy68

Julian

Post #4 by Julian » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:45 pm

Gdaddy68 wrote:Thank you my friend! this PDF is excellent! It lets me know that I don't want to tackle opening up that Pump!
Gdaddy68

You don't necessarily need to start opening up the pump. Please don't think that this comment is specifically aimed at you but there seems to be a tendancy around here to get right in there at the deep end!

First things first, as B100 loader asked, have you got fuel delivery up to the injector unions when you crank the engine? If not then there's no point thinking about timing.....

Julian.

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Another thing to look for is marks on the top casing of the pump,a sign of a sticking rack ( a gentle tap with a spanner on this cover may be worth a try ).As julian says,if you have not got any fuel coming out at the injector pipes it looks like the pump may need an overhaul.But make sure that the system is bled and no air bubbles coming out of the screws.
Let us know how you get on :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
Gdaddy68

Post #6 by Gdaddy68 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:09 pm

OK, gentlemen, thanks for your help! I retimed the timing, check the timing marks, replaced the pump timing cover gasket, primped the pump, both bleed screws and began bleeding the injectors. I stopped because NOW since we have pressure to the injectors, the number one cylinder is blowing fluid and air from around the injector flange. Guess I will have to take the fuel tank off again to replace the injector seal. It runs great on starting spray and tried to pick up diesel but I guess it is sucking air at the number one injector now.???? :wtf:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:09 pm

You can only suck air from the low pressure side of a diesel fuel injection system like that, so if you have any diesel leaking from out of the injector you either have a faulty injector or a leak from the low pressure fuel return on the top of the injector.
Check that the high pressure line from the injection pump to the injector is also a good fit at the injector itself.
The best way to bleed the high pressure side of the fuel injection system is to slack off the high pressure lines at the injectors and crank the engine over on the starter, once you start to see fuel spitting out of the high pressure lines tighten them back up and the engine should fire up and run.

Jeremy

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:27 am

Also if you are getting excessive "leakoff " ( slacken off the pipe on the top of the injector that returns to the tank) it indicates that your injector is worn and needs overhaul or replacement. If you think that you are getting air into the system,check all connections and pipe condition from tank to injection pump.
Martyn

Julian

Post #9 by Julian » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:02 am

I think Gdaddy is refering to leakage between the injector to cylinder head seating. I'm not familiar with the sealing arrangement on this engine but if copper washers then they may need removing and annealing?

Julian.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Julian wrote:I think Gdaddy is refering to leakage between the injector to cylinder head seating. I'm not familiar with the sealing arrangement on this engine but if copper washers then they may need removing and annealing?

Julian.

Yes you are correct, it could also be a cracked injector body too.

Jeremy

Return to “Tech Talk”