Mysterious Bolt...

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Gold Digger

Re: Mysterious Bolt...

Post #11 by Gold Digger » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 am

Froglet wrote:
Gold Digger wrote: :arrow: Bong joor :arrow: what hapens when you jack up the machine with the wheels off the ground and try and select the gears :arrow: :?: . .

I'll try that tomorrow...

Bong swaray :!:

not to much throttle :!: and take it easy . .it says not to over fill with oil how much oil drained out of it :?: also i think it only ment to have 20.4 lt .section 2 page 1-2 of your manual :insomnia: bong joor ;)

Topic author
Froglet

Post #12 by Froglet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:22 am

Gold Digger wrote:not to much throttle :!: and take it easy . .it says not to over fill with oil how much oil drained out of it :?: also i think it only ment to have 20.4 lt .section 2 page 1-2 of your manual :insomnia: bong joor ;)

Duly noted...

Just need to find the damn filler cap for the T/C and 'Robert et mon Oncle'...as they say over 'ere.

Eamonn
Oh my GOD...WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!

My French Business - Les Bons Voisins

Gold Digger

Post #13 by Gold Digger » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:30 am

Froglet wrote:
Gold Digger wrote:not to much throttle :!: and take it easy . .it says not to over fill with oil how much oil drained out of it :?: also i think it only ment to have 20.4 lt .section 2 page 1-2 of your manual :insomnia: bong joor ;)

Duly noted...

Just need to find the damn filler cap for the T/C and 'Robert et mon Oncle'...as they say over 'ere.

Eamonn

i dont know what uncle . . :arrow: cap (B) :arrow: section 3 page 5-2 dip stick is( A ) I thought you filled it up allready . . have you filled it up in another filler pipe ??

essexpete

Post #14 by essexpete » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:36 am

Which model do you have here? Is it the older t/con model or the powertrain with the high dash and dash mounted handbrake lever?

Topic author
Froglet

Post #15 by Froglet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:48 am

GOLD DIGGER - Nope - put 6L of Gear oil in the gearbox filler (next to the gear lever) and 50L of Hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic fluid filler pipe. For some reason my filler cap (B) isn't removable. It's more like a small metal cap with a perforated flange all the way around. I've tried turning it but the bugger won't budge. I suspect it's a bodged replacement filler cap that wasn't properly thought through by whoever put it on there. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Just need to find a supplier for 20.4 litres of the right stuff.

ESSEX PETE - It's a T/C model.

Thanks for the replies. :bow:

G'night

E

Gold Digger

Post #16 by Gold Digger » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi again , i would say you have to get the correct level up on the dip stick which also means you have to get that filler cap off . :ugeek: not trying to be funny here but you are turning the cap the rite way ?? , as for the hydraulic oil you need your own oil well to put the proper ammount in ;o) . . good luck and may wee . .

perdixrouge

Post #17 by perdixrouge » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Froglet. standard ATF (Automatic Trans. Fluid) is fine for the t/c unit, don't rely on it needing 20ltr - thats from an empty unit after a rebuild. The t/c unit itself will hold a lot of oil that doesn't drain out. I found mine took about 10 -12 ltr whenever I did a change of oil. Before you put new oil in, clean the mesh filter on the pick-up pipe in the T/C sump (Remove the bottom plate) If its full of filings and swarth you have likely got damage through oil shortage. Also, new filter on the pressure side which I seem to recall is a spin-on canister. If you overfill the unit, it will chuck oil back up the filler which is also the breather, and flood the cab floor. Other common causes of your lack of go are: linkage failure to the direction valve or failure of the valve itself (Situated on the side of the T/C casing in front of youer right foot) Or airlock in the t/c pump situated front offside of engine - slacken the hyd connector to the pump and run the engine for a minute should solve this. ( its a double pump - rear does the steering, front the T/C) BE AWARE hyd fluid under pressure can penetrate the skin and is a killer. Bon chance!

Topic author
Froglet

Post #18 by Froglet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:01 pm

perdixrouge wrote:Hi Froglet. standard ATF (Automatic Trans. Fluid) is fine for the t/c unit, don't rely on it needing 20ltr - thats from an empty unit after a rebuild. The t/c unit itself will hold a lot of oil that doesn't drain out. I found mine took about 10 -12 ltr whenever I did a change of oil. Before you put new oil in, clean the mesh filter on the pick-up pipe in the T/C sump (Remove the bottom plate) If its full of filings and swarth you have likely got damage through oil shortage. Also, new filter on the pressure side which I seem to recall is a spin-on canister. If you overfill the unit, it will chuck oil back up the filler which is also the breather, and flood the cab floor. Other common causes of your lack of go are: linkage failure to the direction valve or failure of the valve itself (Situated on the side of the T/C casing in front of youer right foot) Or airlock in the t/c pump situated front offside of engine - slacken the hyd connector to the pump and run the engine for a minute should solve this. ( its a double pump - rear does the steering, front the T/C) BE AWARE hyd fluid under pressure can penetrate the skin and is a killer. Bon chance!

Thanks for the diagnosis Perdixrouge. I'm gonna pop out Monday morning for the ATF. I'll clean out the mesh filter and check for swarf. If the filter needs changing I'll have to get it from the UK when I come over in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I can check for airlocks.

Should keep me busy for a while...

EAMONN a.k.a Froglet

Topic author
Froglet

Post #19 by Froglet » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Evening all.
Had 2 days with no electrics or phone due to bad storms here in SW France. Got plenty done on the old JCB though.

Emptied out the ATF sump, removed the filter and gave everything a good clean. Some bits of swarf but nothing too bad. Put 12 litres of Dexron ATF back in (€8 A LITRE :arrrrgh: ) and now the T/C pressure reads between 9-10 Bar (120-125PSI) - the old girl goes like a train now... still a 2 second delay when engaging forward or reverse though.

Topped up with another 10L hydraulic fluid (50 total so far) and finally got a level in the plastic indicator tube in the cab :claphands: . The loader bucket and backhoe feel much better now, as does the steering action :thumbup:

Talking of steering, I assume there should be some rubber bushes at each end of the steering arm connecting the 2 front wheels :?: :?: If YES, then mine have probably worn away and never been replaced. Anyone have any ideas where I can get a pair... :?: :?:

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice/suggestions :bow: :bow: :bow:

Je vous remercie :thumbup:

Eamonn

essexpete

Post #20 by essexpete » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Froglet wrote:Evening all.
Had 2 days with no electrics or phone due to bad storms here in SW France. Got plenty done on the old JCB though.

Emptied out the ATF sump, removed the filter and gave everything a good clean. Some bits of swarf but nothing too bad. Put 12 litres of Dexron ATF back in (€8 A LITRE :arrrrgh: ) and now the T/C pressure reads between 9-10 Bar (120-125PSI) - the old girl goes like a train now... still a 2 second delay when engaging forward or reverse though.

Topped up with another 10L hydraulic fluid (50 total so far) and finally got a level in the plastic indicator tube in the cab :claphands: . The loader bucket and backhoe feel much better now, as does the steering action :thumbup:

Talking of steering, I assume there should be some rubber bushes at each end of the steering arm connecting the 2 front wheels :?: :?: If YES, then mine have probably worn away and never been replaced. Anyone have any ideas where I can get a pair... :?: :?:

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice/suggestions :bow: :bow: :bow:

Je vous remercie :thumbup:

Eamonn

You could probably source the track rod ends from a JCB agent over here but they would not be cheap. Replaced them on both the machines we had over the years. Certainly do not want to venture onto highway with dodgy joints.
With regard to the forward /rev delay I think that is quite normal on the T/C model. Both a Mk111 that we borrowed regularly and a MK11 that we owned had a distinct delay. They were never a problem. I think the trick with any oil driven machine is not to push to high a gear. Overheating is what will sound the death knell.

Return to “Tech Talk”