Plasma cutter

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
RichardJW~

Plasma cutter

Post #1 by RichardJW~ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:11 am

I am thinking about getting a decent sized plasma cutter for home in the workshop rather than using the oxy-acetylene.
So had a look around and something that is capable of cutting 12mm plate needs about 120 ltrs min of air at about 90 psi.
We got a reasonable sized compressor at home but is getting a bit tired so thought I'd look out for something (perhaps on e-bay) also.......how much c/f-m free-air-delivery do I need to get it to work right?

martyn williams

Re: Plasma cutter

Post #2 by martyn williams » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:42 am

Hello Richard
I have used one with 35cfm electric motor compressor. I guess that an increase will give you a better cut.The one I used in work run great on 100psi with a 75cfm compressor.Cut 3mm plate easy.
Get one if you do a lot of fabrication work.They are great. :thumbs_up: Better than a flame cut.Much quicker and less cleaning of the plate required.12MM is a fair thickness for a plasma to cut though,may be too thick.We used a gas profile cutter when we made buckets.I think plasma cutters work well upto 8mm.Never used on on plate above that.
Martyn

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #3 by RichardJW~ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:07 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Hello Richard
I guess that an increase will give you a better cut.The one I used in work run great on 100psi with a 75cfm compressor. Cut 3mm plate easy.

75 cfm to cut 3mm? I got some way to get to 12mm then

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 pm

Hello Richard
Don't think the volume of air will have a drastic effect.The air pressure will make the difference.For sand blasting or operating a pnumatic breaker the more cfm will count.100 PSI supply cut the 3mm very easy.It may work up to 14mm.The thickest that I have seen it cut is 6mm with the cutter we had.
Martyn

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #5 by RichardJW~ » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:25 pm

Martyn, got you now.
I'll be back home by the end of the week, so will start 'shopping' around for something

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by modelman093 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi Richard - sure that if you have set your heart on a plasma you will get one but before you do stick Henrob 2000 into Google and have a read!
I believe that this torch is still available direct from Oz. If you can find the right site (which I couldn't just now!) it has a video of the Henrob being used to cut plate with a good finish.
I've been on the verge of getting one for ages - just never quite got around to it!
Angus

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #7 by RichardJW~ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:12 am

Thanks for that link, Angus. very interesting. :thumbs_up: a reply to one of the posts in the forum talks of a 50 > 70% saving on acetylene

Yes we (I) kind of decided its time to get something, brother gets a few folks calling in at home wanting bits & pieces cut out/off etc. and thought something like this would keep him ahead of the game, so to speak.

daniel.austin

Post #8 by daniel.austin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:00 pm

modelman093 wrote:Hi Richard - sure that if you have set your heart on a plasma you will get one but before you do stick Henrob 2000 into Google and have a read!
I believe that this torch is still available direct from Oz. If you can find the right site (which I couldn't just now!) it has a video of the Henrob being used to cut plate with a good finish.
I've been on the verge of getting one for ages - just never quite got around to it!
Angus

Yeah that's great, I've used one and it was brilliant.

Return to “Tech Talk”