Leaking hose - Ford 655C

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
RichardJW~

Leaking hose - Ford 655C

Post #1 by RichardJW~ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:25 pm

I got a leak.

On this hose the fitting is screwed in tight to the valve block but the oil comes out between the ferrule & the nut, its still slack there like as if it needs to pull against something to make a seal.

What is supposed to seal it or does the fitting need renewing?

SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Leaking hose - Ford 655C

Post #2 by SRB » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:37 pm

You can sometimes get a brass or copper seal to fit into the coupler to take up a bit of slack..

Also, is it te right hose end?

SB
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #3 by RichardJW~ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:01 pm

SRB wrote:You can sometimes get a brass or copper seal to fit into the coupler to take up a bit of slack..

Also, is it te right hose end?

SB

Well I'm not sure about the right end, it looks about right but to my limited thinking I was expecting the fitting to screw in against something to take up the slack & for a seal, instead it just screws in to the valve block.

We have one of them carry crimp hose makers and so was tempted to stick on a new fitting but not sure if the hose is compatible to the ferrules

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:06 pm

You may have a hairline crack in the fitting when tightened. If you have enough hose length I would renew the end to save cost.I make up my own hoses but I have found a cheap local hose supplier in the last few months that will make them to pattern with swaged fittings.
Martyn

Robban_C

Post #5 by Robban_C » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:49 pm

My guess is that you have mixed wrong parts when you did that hose. I almost did the same fault just a few days ago. The nut was right, the hose was right and that inner part that you put into the hose looked right as well but then we saw that the inner part had a different conical sealing surface than the right part has.
That combination would have resulted in the same problem that you have with the nut bottoming before the sealing takes place.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #6 by RichardJW~ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:34 pm

Robban_C wrote:That combination would have resulted in the same problem that you have with the nut bottoming before the sealing takes place.

Yep, seems about right Robban

nick lamb

Post #7 by nick lamb » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:17 pm

Have a 555D here.It's a right oil slick.Can't seem to keep oil in it,just 'near'it!

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Looking at that picture again,you seem to have a coupling adaptor missing,the two connections by it have metal couplings but the leaking pipe seems very close to the block.You may have the right thread but a conection in the block's thread may not bee deep enough to pull it tight to seal it.
I used to work on the old Ford 550's,the hoses were a right pain as the one that leaked was always the awkward bugger to get out.
Martyn

Topic author
RichardJW~

Post #9 by RichardJW~ » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:27 pm

b100 wrote:Looking at that picture again,you seem to have a coupling adaptor missing,the two connections by it have metal couplings but the leaking pipe seems very close to the block.You may have the right thread but a conection in the block's thread may not bee deep enough to pull it tight to seal it.
I used to work on the old Ford 550's,the hoses were a right pain as the one that leaked was always the awkward bugger to get out.
Martyn

Well that's what I thought, but looking in the parts book it seems they don't fit them.

It seems like there's a special hose end especially designed to rotate, but haven't been able to track someone down who knows what i am on about.

I guess someone like Pirtek might know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martyn williams

Post #10 by martyn williams » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:29 pm

Hello Richard
.The one in the block is as we thought,its too shallow for the ends to butt up tight.
I would take the coupling on the next pipe to a hydraulic pipe firm as a pattern so you get the right fitting.( you could try it first by swapping coupling with the one next to it,it will prove a point)
Martyn

Return to “Tech Talk”