Stuck screw bolts

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
gandamaluco
Flag: Portugal

Stuck screw bolts

Post #1 by gandamaluco » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:26 pm

:o Hello all jcb fans.
i own a jcb 3cx project 8 (phase 2, i think) 1996.
I have a problem trying to replace the slew/swing seals on my machine rear Bücket. purchased the seals for slew RAM. it turns out that now that i try to loosen the four large screws (38mm) that hold the covers of the cylinders, it has become an epic job because they seem to be completely glued and I cannot managed to unscrew them. I've already broken a wheel wrench and I don't know what to do. any suggestions or tips for identical experience? How the hell Will i get those damned bolts off??
thank you guys ...

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Stuck screw bolts

Post #2 by Slooby » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:45 am

Heat is usually your friend with stubborn bolts, if you don't have access to oxy-accetylene but do have access to a MIG or Arc welder you could try putting some weld on the head of the bolts to get some heat into the threads to help free things off.

Another thing to perhaps consider is taking the load off the covers in case their self weight is adding load to the threads
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
gandamaluco

Post #3 by gandamaluco » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Topic author
gandamaluco

Post #4 by gandamaluco » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:19 pm

Well after being replacing my slew/swing ram seals i've noticed this kind of deformation in my slewbox. I don't know if it is normal or if it will have left it by some extra effort, but I didn't see any splinters or chips. does anyone have identical equipment with this configuration on the jcb 3cx?
thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Slooby » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:11 am

Can't comment on the deformation as this is the first time I've seen inside a slew box!

But, how did you get the bolts out in the end?
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
gandamaluco

Post #6 by gandamaluco » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:12 am

Slooby
at last i managed to use a wheel wrench and a griffin wrench together and with a lot of effort and perseverance they finally surrendered. I still used a little heat too.
to tighten it again I did the reverse process but I think they were not as tight as before.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:09 pm

gandamaluco wrote:Slooby
at last i managed to use a wheel wrench and a griffin wrench together and with a lot of effort and perseverance they finally surrendered. I still used a little heat too.
to tighten it again I did the reverse process but I think they were not as tight as before.

I am always dubious about over-tightening bolts etc. besides they have a tendency to stiffen up over time, also by experience they can quickly become too tight to remove again in a very short time, I tend to put copper grease on some of the fasteners that I put back but that is to ensure they don't rust in tight should I ever need to get them out again.

Jeremy

Topic author
gandamaluco

Post #8 by gandamaluco » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:11 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
gandamaluco wrote:Slooby

I am always dubious about over-tightening bolts etc. besides they have a tendency to stiffen up over time, also by experience they can quickly become too tight to remove again in a very short time, I tend to put copper grease on some of the fasteners that I put back but that is to ensure they don't rust in tight should I ever need to get them out again.

Jeremy

..so you think its better to just screw it until it seems fairly tight with only the wrench key and no pipe?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:30 pm

I would not put a pipe on something to tighten it up that way; if you wanted to know the exact torque for most bolts just pop onto a fastener website and you should find a calculator/equation to calculate the correct torque, personally I only bother with torque for critical things like bolts/nuts on engines etc. but most other things I tighten by hand wrench only.
You can always double check that something has not come loose again but if you over tighten it and need to get it off again at sometime in the future, then you could be making life harder for yourself.

Jeremy

Topic author
gandamaluco

Post #10 by gandamaluco » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Yeah Jeremy, it makes Sense. I'll check those bolts in a few days.
Thanks a lot.

Return to “Tech Talk”