NEW WELDING SHIELD ????????

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

NEW WELDING SHIELD ????????

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi,
I couldn't believe. :!: :!: :!: My son went to our local supplier to purchase a new welding head shield, only to be told that they were no longer available. :o
New HSE regulations ban their sale and we are faced with purchase of an air fed shield costing £480. :doh:
I have done a lot of welding over the years and was coded in the 60s and 70s, I welcone the legislation. I must have breathed copious ammounts of fumes over the years and must be one of the lucky ones as the fumes are now found to be carcenagenic. :thumbdown:
Regulations gone over the top again as these days I will only ever need to use the arc for the odd minute or two. :roll:
Fred

Jeremy Rowland

Re: NEW WELDING SHIELD ????????

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
I couldn't believe. :!: :!: :!: My son went to our local supplier to purchase a new welding head shield, only to be told that they were no longer available. :o
New HSE regulations ban their sale and we are faced with purchase of an air fed shield costing £480. :doh:
I have done a lot of welding over the years and was coded in the 60s and 70s, I welcone the legislation. I must have breathed copious ammounts of fumes over the years and must be one of the lucky ones as the fumes are now found to be carcenagenic. :thumbdown:
Regulations gone over the top again as these days I will only ever need to use the arc for the odd minute or two. :roll:
Fred

Fred I was aware of the new legislation but was under the impression that old type head shields were still available I am certain my welding supplier would be able to provide one; apparently any arc welding can lead to cancer long term? I am sure that using a standard old type head shield for only the odd few minutes would not hurt but for businesses like fabricators etc. a fully air fed helmet is now a must.

Jeremy

mambo
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by mambo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 pm

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by mechman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Obviously not the silverline ones.
Norm.

v8druid
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by v8druid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:18 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
Fred

you have got to be kidding me :shock: :shock:

you and me both on the fumes front ..... :roll:
the whole world's gone mad :arrrrgh:
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Return to “Tech Talk”