diesel in engine

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Topic author
vincem

diesel in engine

Post #1 by vincem » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:42 pm

I have a fiat 540, I serviced last month. used the tractor a few times and every time I check engine oil level I noticed that the level has increased to the stage that it is way past the full
level I am thinking it could be diesel don't know how. has any one else had that problem......

Jeremy Rowland

Re: diesel in engine

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:56 pm

vincem wrote:I have a fiat 540, I serviced last month. used the tractor a few times and every time I check engine oil level I noticed that the level has increased to the stage that it is way past the full
level I am thinking it could be diesel don't know how. has any one else had that problem......

Hi Vince welcome to the site :wave: if you do have diesel in the oil then you would notice that the oil is thinner than normal and it will smell of the diesel; I don't know of the setup on these tractors but I would check that if your engine oil level has increased that the problem is not caused by something else like the ingress of power steering fluid, hope these suggestions help.

Jeremy

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by TrevorJ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Does it have a diesel lift pump on the block? Typically the diaphragm on those sort of pumps can become damaged and lets fuel slowly seep in.

Of course, it could also be water. How was the water level in the radiator?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:46 pm

TrevorJ wrote:Does it have a diesel lift pump on the block? Typically the diaphragm on those sort of pumps can become damaged and lets fuel slowly seep in.

Of course, it could also be water. How was the water level in the radiator?

Good call with the lift pump; however normally if water gets into the oil it usually forms an emulsified creamy coloured mess that's a dead give away.

Jeremy

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by philwheelton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 pm

It could be the seal at the front of the injection pump it can leak into the sump as well.

Mrsmackpaul

Post #6 by Mrsmackpaul » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 pm

I have a 550 fiat and it has a lift pump on the side of the block would have thought yours would be the same should be a simple cheap fix from bearco or somewhere like that I would think the lift pump has a crook diaphram or seal but it would be cheaper just to replace

Good luck

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FPM3301-Fuel-Lift-Pump-Fiat-450-540-640-Tractor-580-680-780-60-90-70-90-80-90-/381112026092

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

TrevorJ

Post #7 by TrevorJ » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:08 am

Jeremy, that's quite right most of the time. With water, most oils capture the water and discolour, but generally the engine needs to run first. When the engine has been sitting, and the water seeps in, the oil around the dipstick doesn't change that much, and carefully undoing the sump plug, will let most of the water leave without mixing with the oil too much.

Neoprene sheeting is pretty cheap to replace the diaphragm, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty. ;) Besides it may have a glass water separator on top, which are getting harder to replace.

Topic author
vincem

Post #8 by vincem » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 am

thanks every one for your answers,the water level is fine, the oil level is almost to top of dip stick
and is thinner than usual ,so I think I will replace the lift pump for a start , I shall also check power steering level . thanks again.............

wiggy
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by wiggy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:07 pm

diesel can only enter the sump thru 3 ways .
lift pump seal fail
inj pump end seal fail ( asuming pump isnt shaft driven)
or down the side of boars when running ( this is very unlightly)

i know i had a inj seal fail on my loadall just after pump had been fully rebuilt
the older the plant , the more i like it ,
im dislesik so escuse my spelin gramer
I crushed my spine years ago and im soposed 2 b in a wheel chair
so every day when i wake up and my legs still work is like crimbo day

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:57 am

Is the engine fitted with a diesel fueled heater on the inlet manifold? These type of heaters can break down and allow diesel to leak into the engine in some cases.

Return to “Tech Talk”