CAV Pump Timing Problems

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: CAV Pump Timing Problems

Post #11 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:31 am

Julian wrote:I think Gdaddy is refering to leakage between the injector to cylinder head seating. I'm not familiar with the sealing arrangement on this engine but if copper washers then they may need removing and annealing?

Julian.

Hi,
There is indeed a copper washer seal to seat the injector. If it has been disturbed there could be some dirt on or under the washer causing it to blow. This is not too unusual, and can often be sorted by slacking off the two securing nuts about a half turn while the engine is running.
This will allow anything lodged on the seat to be blown out. Then tighten the bolts evenly. Unevenly tightened bolts allone can cause the injector seat to blow, and cause further problems with distortion of the injector barrel.
Going back to your original post, thanks to the master spline on the drive it isn't possible to miss time the pump if the marks are correctly alligned on the timing gears.
There is however a procedure for innitial fine timing which is done by viewing a timing mark on the rotor inside the pump and aligning it with the squared end of the circlip in the pump body. This can be viewed through the small two bolt plate on the pump, and set by turning the pump body till the marks allign. The pump is then locked up in this position and the external timing mark scribed on the pump mounting flange.
However your pump will already have been set up and marked, so you only have to align the external mark on the mounting flange with the mark on the engine.
Fred.

Topic author
Gdaddy68

Re: CAV Pump Timing Problems

Post #12 by Gdaddy68 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:15 am

WELL MY U.K. friends!!!! :thumbup: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! :bow: cheerio, dohcee doh! It is ALIVE!!! :rockon:
I am not sure if it was checking the pump timing mark on the flange, again, or better yet, I think when I removed the throttle linkage I found that the shaft had slipped down 1/2 way into the pump :doh: . The grove and notched mark for the connection were not meshing, or connecting. I pulled up on the stim that the linkage connects to and heard a "tink" I held it up and tried to crank the engine and it tried to start. I then Held the stim up while connecting the linkage and top nut. BAMMMMMM!!! it CRANKED and runs very well might I add! THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOO MUCH! Praise the LORD and all the above!

A VERY VERY VERY HAPPY "GOOFY DADDY"! :lol: :wave: :D

Return to “Tech Talk”