ferguson timing

Talk about technical issues here. Questions and answers!

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: ferguson timing

Post #11 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun May 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Im not real flash on these tractors I know some had a up draft carby but if you operate the carby ie open the throttle is it putting fuel in is the accelerator pump working ?

can you give it a good squirt of fuel in the inlet manifold and wind it over if it still dosnt fire I would feel you have a spark problem

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
martin1

Post #12 by martin1 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Yes I've not tried that, I did try the dreaded easy start in the carb intake and nothing whatsoever so could be a blockage somewhere, I'll give that a try, thankyou for the advice, Martin

Jeremy Rowland

Post #13 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Martin what is the state of the distributor cap? Sometimes you can have a good spark at the plugs but if there is a hairline crack in the cap it can easily track to earth, which would be easier than jumping the spark plug gap when the plug is in the cylinder under pressure.

These are just some suggestions to try and help out; there is one last thing and this did happen to me with an old car that I had years ago; I had changed all of the things that you have changed but the car was not running right it would still occasionally misfire, then one night it broke down and I managed to get it to 'limp' home.
I found that although I had fitted a new capacitor and points, the new capacitor was faulty and turned out to be the cause of the woes all along. Problems like this are most irritating because when you have changed something for a new part then you automatically rule it out of the equation when fault finding.

When all is said and done it is a petrol engine and if it won't run then its normally either a lack of fuel or a lack of a decent spark.

Jeremy

Topic author
martin1

Post #14 by martin1 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Ok I'll check this out too, cap appears really good but I'll check it over once I've refitted the carb again and tried the gravity feed, I'll keep u posted, Martin

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #15 by Stormin » Wed May 20, 2015 7:21 am

You say you have fitted a new float and needle valve to the carb but are they definately set correctly. Is the float free to move?
When you open the carb up again is the float chamber nearly full? It will need a certain amount to cover the jets before fuel is sucked through into the throttle body area.
Is the vent/ overflow to the float chamber free of blockage? If air can't get in fuel can't be sucked out.

Topic author
martin1

Post #16 by martin1 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:11 am

Could be onto something here, I didn't notice any vent holes in float chamber ill take a closer look.

Return to “Tech Talk”