Bought a JCB 3cx for Export

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
DARKLING
Flag: Great Britain

Bought a JCB 3cx for Export

Post #1 by DARKLING » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:57 am

Hi Everyone, I have just bought a jcb 3cx 1988 model. I am very new to all this as i drove it for the first time yesterday. That was the first time i had ever driven a jcb. When i bought it i looked around for some time and i bought from a bloke who seemed honest.
I have bought it as we want to export it to Thailand to dig some ponds out, on our farm out there.
I measured yesterday and realize to get it in the container, 40' high cube i would need to take off the front shovel and wondered how hard this is to do and possibly how to do it. I also know that one back leg has to be cut off and re-welded once it arrives.
I really am a novice at all this so please be patient with me if i don't quite understand everything.
Thanking you for your time to all those who can help me.
jcb 3cx turbo 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Bought a JCB 3cx for Export

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 am

Hi and welcome to CMN :wave: taking a bucket off is no big deal but cutting a leg off the machine :arrrrgh: that is more of a problem, well getting it welded back on properly could be a problem. Is this just so that the machine will fit in a container?
Surely JCB don't cut em to bits when they export them so I would have thought that perhaps there may be a better way than hacking part of the machine to pieces? :think:

Jeremy

Topic author
DARKLING

Post #3 by DARKLING » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:36 am

Hi Jeremy, Thanks for your reply, would like to know how to take the the front bucket off as i am not sure what to do about the hydraulics.
Also the newer models are not as wide as the old ones so they go straight into a container. I don't think JCB ship their machines in a container.
All the exporters of older machines have to cut one leg off then get it welded back in place when it arrives. This job will not be done by me it will be done by a qualified welder I also would like to know how to fit the front wheels on the back for putting it into a container.You did make me smile though with your vivid description of cutting one leg off right down at the edge where the weld is already. (hacking part of the machine to pieces) If you do know how to take off the front shovel i would appreciate the help with info.
Thanks folks for your replies

jcb4cx

Post #4 by jcb4cx » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:11 pm

your machine is too old for the fronts to fit the back ,(no hubs on rear )
four pins to remove the bucket , remove one pipe from loader end the other pipe from the bucket end then loop them back on theirselves

why not put it on a flatrack or is the cost much more
every village has one , is yours missing you

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Get the right size joiner to link the 3rd service 4in1 bucket pipes.
Presumably you could do with another smaller joiner to link one set of the jack pipes.
Would it roll into a container with the tyres off?

Topic author
DARKLING

Post #6 by DARKLING » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:49 pm

jcb wheels.JPG
thank you for your helpful replies. Its nice to know that there are people out there willing to give their time to help. thanks very much.
Does any one know what my Jcb is its a 1988 so is this a grey cab? Also just bought these wheels and tyres on Ebay hope they will fit my machine. The measured the stud holes for me and said the were 8 stud with 8" centres which mine are as well. But mine don't have the cross bits in the middle.
jcb wheels.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcb4cx

Post #7 by jcb4cx » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:57 pm

essexpete wrote:Get the right size joiner to link the 3rd service 4in1 bucket pipes.
Presumably you could do with another smaller joiner to link one set of the jack pipes.
Would it roll into a container with the tyres off?

if you use one pipe to join the bucket ends and the other to join the 3rd service pipes there is no need for a joiner and no oil loss from either ends

those wheels will fit , are they 26" or 28" just make sure they match what you take off
front axle will run on hubs ,you may be able to sacrifice you ebay rims and use those minus the tyres ,should still be useable afterwards too if you put them on at the container door
every village has one , is yours missing you

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:13 pm

I think it is known as a black cab with the all glass doors, probably towards the end of that era. All the JCBs have a build or project number but not sure which one you have. Be carefull lifting/handling the 4in1 with pipes disconnected (even if linked) as the thing can suddenly open. Apologies if that is obvious.

Topic author
DARKLING

Post #9 by DARKLING » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:42 pm

hi Folks Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.
The tyres on my machine are 18.4/x26 the tyres i have just bought are 16.9 x 28 will these wheels still fit? when i measured my rims they are 28" diameter.To Graham I checked out what you said about disconnecting the front shovel and that idea is brill. When i disconnect will i lose oil or do i have just work fast so as not to lose too much oil. To essexpete thanks for the advice i will watch out for the bucket opening when we move it in the container.Like i said i am a newcomer and really at a loss so any advice is gratefully received.

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:58 pm

DARKLING wrote:hi Folks Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.
The tyres on my machine are 18.4/x26 the tyres i have just bought are 16.9 x 28 will these wheels still fit? when i measured my rims they are 28" diameter.To Graham I checked out what you said about disconnecting the front shovel and that idea is brill. When i disconnect will i lose oil or do i have just work fast so as not to lose too much oil. To essexpete thanks for the advice i will watch out for the bucket opening when we move it in the container.Like i said i am a newcomer and really at a loss so any advice is gratefully received.

If you have someone cutting the leg you could get them to weld the bucket shut with a couple of tabs.

If the stud holes are right they should be ok as the rolling circumference should be the same.

http://www.firestoneag.com/webres/File/Tire-Info/TireInfo-RCI.pdf

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”