jcb 3c legs slow to move

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
robbo100

jcb 3c legs slow to move

Post #1 by robbo100 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:05 pm

legs on my jcb are really slow to move down and the engine seems to die down when you are operating the legs even when you rev it. up all the other hydraulics seem to be working ok, but i did have a new hydraulic filter a few weeks back because it had fallen apart causing the steering to stop working.

martyn williams

Re: jcb 3c legs slow to move

Post #2 by martyn williams » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 pm

If its just the legs it could be the rubbing strips has picked up.I had a jammed up one once,it was so tight I had to use another machine on its foot to push it down.If its that,you will need to strip it out and clean it up.If not you need to check our your hydraulics for pressure etc
Martyn

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by philwheelton » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 am

I think you will find all 3C 11 legs move up and down slowly due to the hose's being 1/4 bsp and the rest of the m/c is on 5/8th bsp (apart from the slew) so it takes more out of the engine to move the legs

Topic author
robbo100

Post #4 by robbo100 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 am

is it much of a job to strip the legs down, whats the chances the pipes could be blocked restricting the oil to the rams,thanks for the advice.also i need some brake pipe unions does anyone know the sizes theres one male and one female on either end and what thread are they.

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:03 am

It is surprising how much earth etc works its way into the leg box section area.I can tell you a story about an old JCB that I got called to.The owner tried to repair his leaking hydraulic leg pipes that are pretty thin dia. compared to the pipes on the rest of the machine with a soldering iron :dizzy: The pipes were so baddly corroded that they were un repairable.
You can get pipes and fittings from auto factors or hydraulic companies in your area..Its not a hard job to remove legs for refurbishment.You may also find that the foot on the bottom of the post has worn out bottom pin bosses on an old well used machine. So its advisable to get it all right before refitting to the machine.
Martyn

smithhymac
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by smithhymac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Martyn is right, the legs do suffer from soil holding moisture between the leg itself and the wear strips which are riveted to the leg, this rusts and blows making the tight in the cases. I've stipped then out before to find they have bent the ram rod they are so tight!
cheers morgan

Topic author
robbo100

Post #7 by robbo100 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:24 am

thanks fellas for the advise i think i will try and strip them down and give them a good clean up,the digger it seems ok we paid £1500 for it and the guy we bought it from paid £3000 a few years ago, it wont be given a thrashing it will just be nice to have it all working tidy.i dont think i am to far away from you martyn i am also from south wales.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”