JCB 3C MK2 engine swap (38TD to 498NT)

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
tony2shoes
Flag: Wales

JCB 3C MK2 engine swap (38TD to 498NT)

Post #1 by tony2shoes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:35 am

Hi, can anyone please help? I am planning to swap out the 38TD in my 3C MK2 (water in oil & valve guides leaking) for a 498NT lump I've picked up at a good price. I had initially thought about an engine rebuild but the Vapormatic kit is pricey by comparison and I would still be left with the injector sleeves to deal with. Finally and from what I've read on this and the Leyland forum the 498NT had enough mods to finally resolve most of the reliability issues hence my convincing myself to swap.

The new engine came with starter, air cleaner, CAV DPA injection pump, Plessey steering pump and alternator still fitted. It also has the flywheel but no clutch plate. I understood this swap was quite common but I've spotted some differences at least which I need to overcome and would appreciate your views on, i.e;

# Are the clutch plates and flywheels the same?

# The throttle coupling is different. My 38TD has a solid rod to operate (although the manual seems to show a Bowden cable even with the Simms inline pump. Is mine an old old machine?). I'm assuming the 498 will definitely be cable but will the pedal / hand throttle need to be changed or modded too? Also, the throttle shaft does not return on it's own so I think an external spring is missing? Would anyone be able to post a pic of the CAV pump which hopefully will be clearer than the drawing?

# The tacho drive is different so I will needed a longer cable to reach the angle drive still fitted at the front of the engine but is the fitting and cable routing to the tacho head still the same?

# I notice the 498 is fitted with a flame heater on the manifold whereas the 38TD didn't but had plumbing for ether instead. Did the flame start supersede the ether completely or were they fitted together?

# Is there anything else I've overlooked?

Thanks everyone, regards, Tony

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”