3CX syncro shuttle gearbox oil

Post #1 by kerniki » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 pm

1988 grey cab variant

can i use normal sae 10w gearbox oil?

i dont have a JCB dealer anywhere near me :(

mosta

Re: 3CX syncro shuttle gearbox oil

Post #2 by mosta » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi, If you dont have a chance to get genuine JCB transmission oil, you can use automatic transmission fluid, its the red stuff and can be got in any motor factors.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Is the op asking about the gear box or the shuttle/torque con?

Topic author
kerniki

Post #4 by kerniki » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 pm

15.5 liter gearbox, I just mention the syncro shuttle as it identifies which gearbox it is apparently? (I was told by JCB UK)

I phoned my nearest JCB dealer (in France) who said he had the right stuff, an hour later I arrive only to be presented with (non JCB) AT oil, I tell him its not right & it should be either JCB special transmission fluid or SAE 10W as its a manual gearbox, he then phones JCB France with my chassis number, they have never heard of JCB special transmission fluid & keep no record of JCBs of that era!

Arrrrrr!

Topic author
kerniki

Post #5 by kerniki » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 am

anyone?

still need to do this job, in fact its now urgent since I've discovered the oil cooler is knackered.

having looked at it no, I dont think there are two boxes to fill? just the one.

I think the converter is drained seperately but fills itself from the main gearbox oil.

open to clarification & pointers on sourcing the right oil :)

machine no. 338442 & was told by JCB that it is a synchro shuttle box, I have a leaver to left to select forward or reverse, a normal manual clutch and 4 speed gear stick :D

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:19 am

Julian

Post #7 by Julian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:32 pm

kerniki wrote:I think the converter is drained seperately but fills itself from the main gearbox oil.
:D

Torque converters only 1/2 drain themselves (anything below shaft level doesn't drain) so, often, you'll find a drain plug on the periphery of the converter, though you'll have to rotate the engine to get it to the bottom. Personally I wouldn't bother mucking around, just drain the gearbox! This is the reason that levels should be checked (normally) with the transmission in drive and engine running as you want the tranny pump to fill the converter. Gearboxes and converters share the same oil

I don't know anything specific about JCB's, but if it's a gearbox with converter then what's wrong with normal red ATF? (or ATF Dextron which is better) JCB certainly don't manufacture oil and it will only be blended for them by a company like Rock Oil and charged out to the customer at silly prices!

Julian.

Topic author
kerniki

Post #8 by kerniki » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 pm

thats what i meant julian, had read elsewhere on here the removal of rubber inspection plate then turn engine to find drain plug.

i'd like to drain completely as there's more water than oil :cry:

thx essesxpete but it has no alternative listing which is my problem, cant even find 10w gear oil here in france, would like to use red atf but many say (inc JCB UK) DONT! due to the manual side of the gearbox.

Julian

Post #9 by Julian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:07 pm

kerniki wrote:i'd like to drain completely as there's more water than oil :cry:

thx essesxpete but it has no alternative listing which is my problem, cant even find 10w gear oil here in france, would like to use red atf but many say (inc JCB UK) DONT! due to the manual side of the gearbox.

Yes, I agree, if there's water in there try and get it out. Again I'm no JCB expert, but with some knowledge of cars, if the converter has been replaced in the past (or sometimes cut open, cleaned and welded back up) then the drain may have been deleted. All you can do is rotate the engine through 360 degrees while carefully peering into the inspection area - mark it with chalk maybe so you know when you've done a full revolution.

I'm still not convinced about this oil malarkey, all automatic gearboxes have gears that need lubing and JCB would try to frighten you into buying there own brand top dollar oil. I don't see a JCB gearbox being built using rocket science technology, though I'll defer to the experts on this one!

Julian.

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Any oil distributor worth their salt will be able to look up the required oil spec for you. Our local man (Garry at Eurolube is very good)

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”