new to me jcb

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
89sitemaster

new to me jcb

Post #1 by 89sitemaster » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:15 pm

I just got a 89 jcb 4x4 sitemater I belive it is a 1400b I need a Manuel to do a rebuild on the engine. Thank you for your help

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: new to me jcb

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Nate, welcome to CMN .....
Try this, it should help.
http://www.classicmachinery.net/forum/app.php/dl_ext/?view=detail&df_id=185

Martyn

Topic author
89sitemaster

Post #3 by 89sitemaster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Thank you martyn! That is a huge help.. is there a Manuel that has exploded views of engine?
I also want to do a compression test before I tear it apart. can I make a tester or where can I buy one?

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Martyn Henley » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 pm

You are welcome Nate... you can magnify the page on the download adobe .. with regards to the compression i am sure others on here will be better qualified to give you advise

Martyn

Topic author
89sitemaster

Post #5 by 89sitemaster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:41 pm

The one I downloaded only showed specs on the engine and how to service it. I did not see any pics of the motor being dismantled

Mark.Rive

Post #6 by Mark.Rive » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:22 pm

89sitemaster wrote:Thank you martyn! That is a huge help.. is there a Manuel that has exploded views of engine?
I also want to do a compression test before I tear it apart. can I make a tester or where can I buy one?

Compression testers are available,never considered making one though! I would also do a cylinder leak down test. But what is the nature of the problem that requires a rebuild? Cheers Mark

Topic author
89sitemaster

Post #7 by 89sitemaster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:50 pm

My dad original owner of the hoe rolled it over 20 plus years ago. The engine was running for a few min on its side before it was shut off. He says it since then it has not had the same power. The last time it was used 7 years ago they would have to use a card cleaner to get it started. The last time they started it the guy spraying the fluid sprayed to much now one of the piston is slaping. So between lack of power,smoke, and now a piston slap a rebuild is what I am thinking it needs

The hoe only has 2000 hours on it I would be curious to see what the compression is. Maybe there is another cause for the hard starts and lack of power

Topic author
89sitemaster

Post #8 by 89sitemaster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Here is some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark.Rive

Post #9 by Mark.Rive » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Great pic's Nate, thanks. Yep, sounds like a re-build is needed. Easy-Start spray is a big no no as far as I'm concerned. If shes's slapping pistons and smoking etc etc, its hardly worth the compression check or leak down test. Get the head off, check it's straight and if you dont want to get the valves out straight away puddle some parrafin or such like on them to check for leaks. Although while its off, if it were me I'd have it apart, get the guides checked, and the valves reseated. Then it'll be out with the pistons and crankshaft for sure. Then you can check the liner's, pistons, rings & small ends. Although you may not need liners, rings will be needed for sure. If you're worried about timings etc before you tear down, set all the marks first ( I always do). you dont have to pull the injector pump to strip the motor out :thumbup: i'm sure i have some detailed info on the engine somewhere I'll see if I can find it. But honestly it's a great unit to work on. Check the tech talk section, there are some great threads with pictures of engines showing internals and such like. 3C carnage is one for sure. Cheers Mark

Topic author
89sitemaster

Post #10 by 89sitemaster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks mark!! Let me know if you find any detailed pics and I will check tech talk. This will be my first engine rebuild so any tips and tricks are welcome. Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”