MF 40 my new Autumn project

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
topkit
Flag: Great Britain

MF 40 my new Autumn project

Post #1 by topkit » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Here are a few pictures of my latest project, I sold my JCB 3C MKII and have been after an MF40 for a while now, This one is a 1980/81 model with the instant reverse transmission. When i got the machine there was no glass in the cab but i have now managed to get it fully glazed after nearly causing a divorce lol !! So far i have changed the engine oil and filter, hydraulic filter, flushed out the radiator and block and put fresh antifreeze back in, i will change the transmission oil and filter next. The perkins engine is very sweet and starts instantly with no smoke at all, the hour meter works and the machine only shows 4200 hours. While the weather has been good i have been busy sanding and priming her up so hopefully this weekend i will respray her (that red front bucket has to go) more pics to follow. 8-)

PS if anyone knows anyone who has a bonnet for one of these machines please contact me thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by topkit on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Re: MF 40 my new Autumn project

Post #2 by Holger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:15 am

This will be interesting! Please keep us uptodate!
Some resources:
How-To

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #3 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:52 am

I actually think the red front bucket looks well on it, but then again me being me I'd probably end up painting the wheels red and the cab white. It would end up like a tribute to JCB.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:57 am

The farm I worked on as a student had an M reg one with a 4in 1 as well, what a quick little loader. Surprisingly good on wet ground with the weight of the hoe and a hand lever diff lock.

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:36 am

Nice project and a very usefull machine :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
topkit

Post #6 by topkit » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Yep it is a very nimble little machine and has very quick hydraulics trouble is i am used to loading with a JCB 3C and now i am going to grab the levers on the right hand side but there is nothing there! I have seen am MF40 with red wheel centres and a white cab but it does not look quite right but i know where you are coming from. Martyn i am enjoying your articles in Classic Plant and machinery, it would be good if we could get more old pictures from 1960,s and 1970,s when the likes of Willam Press and OC Summers, Murphy etc were busy with old MF and JCB machines and buiding sites had a great variety of machinery working there must be lots of pictures out there it's just getting them into the magazine. Maybe in a couple of months we should ask what peoples opinions are on Classic Machinery magazine again hopefully it will be a bit more positive and the feedback will be good for the editor too.

martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Its in the pipeline, but as I must be about three months ahead it will take time to filter through.I have got loads of ideas to try out.
Keep us updated on your project :thumbup:
Martyn

Mark.Rive

Post #8 by Mark.Rive » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Thats a very nice machine. please keep us posted on your progress :gooodpost: Mark

Topic author
topkit

Post #9 by topkit » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Well with the perfect weather this weekend i managed to get all of the bits primed up and the machine glass masked up , i also masked up most of the hoses as i hate seeing machines that have had their hoses painted, I then spent the hottest part of the afternoon painting it and finished around 6pm, I cant wait to get all of the decals put on it now, I am very pleased with the results i have not done it for showing it will get used on our land and out and about locally until i sell it for my next machine which i have already seen!! I will move the machine and take a few more picture to post on here over the next few days. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #10 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi You've transformed that machine allready, :claphands: keep up the good work. :thumbup:
A friend of mine had a 40, I used it briefly and it was a very usefull little tool.
Best wishes.
Fred

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”