Changing steering wheel plus pipes

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
dubs

Changing steering wheel plus pipes

Post #1 by dubs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi guys am pretty new on here but got lots of great info regarding sorting my non steering 1978 Jcb 3c11 there is lots of good info 8-) Anyway the steering leaks inside the cab below the steeringwheel and i thought i may find info on changing it but also thought i better put a post or two up showing ma old beast lol. My question is Do i have to drain hydraulics to change over steering block inside cab? 4 pipes go into this block and i have a good 2nd hand un to fit and dont want to be pumped with oil :oops: .

Here is a pic of ma old yoke, Bought 2 months ago for my self build to save me some cash, been using it to clear the site and have offloaded a tralier with it forks :mrgreen:
URL of the original image: http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/dubhighland/DSC08461.jpg

The windscreen popped out when the transport guy put a strap over cab but remarkablly it stayed entact 8-) Starts everytime and everything works much to the farmer nearby's amazement.lol, Hydraulics are very noisy is this normal, cheers

P.S cracking forum guys 8-)

a51 rob

Re: Changing steering wheel plus pipes

Post #2 by a51 rob » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:23 pm

as long as u r not trying to change the unit with the engine running !!! they run a danfoss type steering unit like a tractor just keep the pipes up out of the muck n dirt usually accumulated if unsure mark ya pies n draw a diagram b 4 ya start make sure ya (new) unit is clean and swop it over once on start it up n crack the steering ram pipes of as they tend to get a slight airlock

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Hugh Jaleak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:12 am

Not very familiar with hydraulic system on a 3C, but principle is the same for all hydraulics. If the pump is cavitating (basically being starved of oil) it will make a horrible racket, and I dont think it does the pump any favours either. I'd check there's enough hyd oil in the machine, then filter in outlet from tank to pump, hoses from tank to pump (seen one on a JCB 360 collapse under suction from pump).

time travel

Post #4 by time travel » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 am

Hi

Could be worth checking the hydraulic filter, besides the oil level.

John

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”