JCB 3c... erm.... what?!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
redleicester

Re: JCB 3c... erm.... what?!

Post #11 by redleicester » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Thankyou all by the way for the welcome and the assistance. I'm amazed that no one has done a JCB model crib sheet!

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by Stormin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:44 pm

redleicester wrote:So that late model 3C is looking like a good choice.... can it be retrofitted with forks on the 4-in1 bucket?

Shouldn't be a problem for a decent fabricator. If you're struggling locally I know of such a person in South East Lancs.

Topic author
redleicester

Re: Re: JCB 3c... erm.... what?!

Post #13 by redleicester » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Stormin wrote:
redleicester wrote:So that late model 3C is looking like a good choice.... can it be retrofitted with forks on the 4-in1 bucket?

Shouldn't be a problem for a decent fabricator. If you're struggling locally I know of such a person in South East Lancs.

Ah righty. Nope that sort of thing is not a problem - there's an agri forge just 5 mins down the road from me who have conjoured up all sorts of things for me, so they'd be more than capable of that. They have a fork-mounted tipping skip in their yard too which I may be able to persuade them to part with!

jcb1968

Post #14 by jcb1968 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:47 am

I would take the 3CX over the 3CII, I have had a 3CX and had the 3CII (both 2WD)
the 3CX much more modern machine,
You will have much better visibility, a lot easier to drive, easier to get in and out of - lighter on the ground
You should be able to buy an early 2WD 3CX with standard dipper and 4in1 front bucket with forks for around£3000 upwards. check out gumtree.com and sites like that, local trading papers and autotrader.com, most i see on ebay are much more expensive than this
You might need new tyres at this price and definitely fit wider fronts due to the weight of the 4in1, again you can find via the web somewhere local that will sell you partworn (60% and above) for the fraction of the new price/
as soon as you get it home, change the engine oil, engine oil and fuel filters, then you know where you are.
the rear buckets are interchangable between the 3C and 3CX
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

Topic author
redleicester

Post #15 by redleicester » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 am

jcb1968 wrote:I would take the 3CX over the 3CII, I have had a 3CX and had the 3CII (both 2WD)
the 3CX much more modern machine,
You will have much better visibility, a lot easier to drive, easier to get in and out of - lighter on the ground

Interesting. I've been looking through the CMN download manual and the 3C series seem to be around 6.5t, but obviously the 3CX isn't listed in that lot, and all I can seem to find out on the web are weights for "modern" 3CXs, which are clearly much heftier. Lighter on the ground in terms of tyreing or overall weight? 6.5t makes me feel rather better, though the thought of the 4-1 bucket weighing in a nearly a ton on its own is quite scary!

Of the two links I posted from the Monmouthshire Ebay seller, he seems to be saying the 3C he has comes with 3CX-esque engine and transmission - so in what way is a CX easier to drive? Do you mean in terms of a simple transmission and/or power steering or some such, or is there something else to it than that? In fact, do any of them have PAS? (I'm wondering if my wife will manage to shift the thing!)

The cab changes are self explanatory, and I can definitely see your point on that. I've also found an even more local 3C with 4-in-1 and forks for £2k or thereabouts, trying to see if it's still available, though I have a horrid feeling it's long gone.

I picked up all the local rags this morning, and there's nothing else local at the mo :(

XS650

Post #16 by XS650 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Been said before but prior to 1980 4wd JCB's didn't exist on construction sites and the work still got done.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
redleicester

Post #17 by redleicester » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Yep, seems mad these days that we think we require X, Y or Z when in yesteryear such things were a luxury if at all!

essexpete

Post #18 by essexpete » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm

XS650 wrote:Been said before but prior to 1980 4wd JCB's didn't exist on construction sites and the work still got done.

yeah no mobile phones or PCs either! :lol:

The Powertrain build 5 3C was really the stop gap to the new 3CX at the end of the 70s when the 3C was dated compared to other marques.
The driving difference will be in better 2 sided access and ergonomics within the cab and parallel linkage on the front end. If you are not driving 8hrs 6days a week the older model will be fine and in the case of the ads the OP is looking at, the 4in1 would be a huge advantage

Topic author
redleicester

Post #19 by redleicester » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Or mobile phones that masquerade as PCs! :D

Parallel linkage... good point, though I don't have one on my Massey so I'm used to crowding / tipping the bucket when lifting, but I agree it'd be handy not to have to bother!

4-in-1 is a definite for me I think - it's been so damned useful on the little MF that I couldn't concieve of using a boggo bucket anymore - I'll sacrifice less lifting and carrying capacity for the massive extra utility.

Take the point about usage - I suspect it'd be heavy weekends once a month and then a couple of hours every other weekend outside of that, so it's hardly going to be massive usage - I tink this is where I'm struggling to make final decisions: of course I want the newest, shinyest most capable beast I can afford, but on the other hand, this is a small estate, not a construction site so there's no way in hell I'm going to put it through the rigors of that level of usage, so I just question whether I "need" new, shiny and ultimate, or whether a little older and more pernickety but still servicable would do.... At the same time, I don't want to "save" money going for something that then can't do something I ask of it...

Martyn Henley

Post #20 by Martyn Henley » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:15 pm

Been said before but prior to 1980 4wd JCB's didn't exist on construction sites and the work still got done

Oh yes indeed we got the work done ok .. we just dragged and pushed our selves around muddy sticky sites, but as its been said before you could never get a JCB stuck back in them days ..

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”