JCB 3c... erm.... what?!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

jcb1968

Re: JCB 3c... erm.... what?!

Post #21 by jcb1968 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 pm

redleicester wrote:Thankyou all by the way for the welcome and the assistance. I'm amazed that no one has done a JCB model crib sheet!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JCBs-Backhoe-Loader-Workhorse-World/dp/B00447J4JI/ref=sr_1_9?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1308687721&sr=1-9

have a look at this DVD, it covers all JCB's loader/backhoe's from the very 1st to the latest
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

Topic author
redleicester

Post #22 by redleicester » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Duly ordered!

Scooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #23 by Scooby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Martyn Henley wrote:
Been said before but prior to 1980 4wd JCB's didn't exist on construction sites and the work still got done

Oh yes indeed we got the work done ok .. we just dragged and pushed our selves around muddy sticky sites, but as its been said before you could never get a JCB stuck back in them days ..

+1 for that. I worked for years with quite a few different 2wd JCBs and a) you got off and had a look if necessary, and b) 99% of the time when you get stuck with a 180 machine you can get it out yourself. Like everything else though there is a knack to driving a 2wd when you are in the sticky stuff. Try picking the loader right up if possible, that puts more weight on the back end. Slew your backhoe out to centre to put more weight on the back end. If you have to pull/push yourself about then push the front shovel flat on the ground, this way it acts like a sledge and keeps the front wheels out of the ground. Having your bucket down like this also makes it easier if you are lifting yourself up with the back actor and slewing yourself about. Lots of tricks to learn ;)

As far as choice of machine is concerned I agree that 4 in 1 is incredibly useful but adds weight to a 2wd machine front end. I thought that extending dipper was fantastic when it emerged but again we managed for years without it.

Most important ? I would say 4 in 1 first, then extending dipper, then 4wd. That's because you can hopefully pick and choose the days when you have to do jobs. Pallet forks are very useful and I made a drive-in set to go on a 3Mk111 but you have to be on sound ground to be able to use that on a 2wd.

Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

mini78
Flag: Australia

Post #24 by mini78 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Suggest examining the boom carefully if looking at a 3D as the few I have seen have been cracked and repaired. 3C's don't seem to have this problem. The 3CX is a much better option if you can afford it. More hydraulic power, better loader performance.

Hugh Jaleak

Post #25 by Hugh Jaleak » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:17 pm

If you haven't already bought a machine, then the later versions are easier (in my view!) to drive.

Early JCB's (pre 1979) have a manual gearbox and clutch. (IIRC you cannot change gear on the move, need to stop, declutch, then select next gear.) Means a lot of gearchanging if loading....

Later (post 1979) 3C's and the 3CX have the 'Powertrain' transmission. No clutch, 4 speed gearbox, and forward/reverse on a lever or stalk by the steering wheel. To change gear on the move, simply floor the transmission 'dump' pedal and change gear. (Will also go at full speed in reverse I think but never tried it!)

MF 50B/50D had the 'reversomatic' transmission. I've never driven one, but they have 2 'accelerator' pedals, one forward, one reverse. I think you press appropriate pedal according to direction required. 50H/HX went to the 'Powershuttle' transmission, same principle as JCB Powertrain.

Topic author
redleicester

Post #26 by redleicester » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:51 pm

I haven't yet Hugh, so the input is as ever greatly appreciated. I'm certainly leaning towards a Powertrain C as a minimum, with a CX being the ultimate, albeit a bit budget stretching.

topkit

Post #27 by topkit » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:33 am

One thing that is worth remembering if you are on a tight budget is a powertrain or Massey Ferguson instant reverse is bloomin expensive if it goes wrong, and a manual gearbox machine rely's on a clutch which is much much cheaper and easier to replace! My mate had a MF50B and the instant reverse always got slugish as the oil warmed up and then it gave up altogether and i remember there was no change out of about £1200 and that was back in the early 1990's, so i would say if you are just doing a self build or using it on a small holding for just a few hours on the odd day here and there a manual box would be fine. As nice as a powertrain would be you have to think can i afford to put it right if it goes wrong!!

Hugh Jaleak

Post #28 by Hugh Jaleak » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:46 am

I had a stint on a 3Ciii, 1979 'V' reg with the powertrain transmission, fantastic machine. Only wish i'd somewhere to put it, i'd love to get one!

Biggest issue I had with the 3C was when changing gear, I found the 'dump' pedal close too close to the brake pedals, and got my boot stuck on the pedal! :lol:

I was also taught to watch the angle of the 6:1 when loading MOT or similar loose material. If the top edge of the front bucket is allowed to get too horizontal when the loader arms are at at almost full stretch, material in the bucket can spill over the top edge, landing on the bonnet. There is a grille towards the front of the bonnet, should a stone fall through, it's not unknown for the cooling fan to then spit it clean through the rad!

Martyn Henley

Post #29 by Martyn Henley » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:02 am

There was a torque converter version of the 3Cmk2, but they seem to self destruct after a short while, easier to drive, but it was hard work with the manual gearbox when loading lorries.

The same went with the standard bucket Nick, the amount of JCB's that had dented bonnets :dizzy: and the amount of JCB's that had bent noses where they were bashed against the side of lorries when loading.

Martyn

Topic author
redleicester

Post #30 by redleicester » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 am

Aye, my tractor has a 4in1 and no parallel lift - I learned very quickly how to handle it but clearly the council who owned it before me were less careful - the bonnet and nose are a rather odd shape!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”