EARLY JCB

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
MGI

EARLY JCB

Post #1 by MGI » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 am

The very first machine I ever drove (for a living) was an early JCB, I am talking about 1963 - this machine was huge in those days, it had a central jib which could not be moved laterally and it was extremely tall, caution was required around some bridges, it had a a single out rigger which was the width of the machine so it was only possible to lift the back up in one plane. It had 5 levers and they were arranged in the arrowhead shape with the longest lever in the middle, then 2 slightly shorter & then the last 2 shorter again. I think it may have been a JCB 4? Shortly after starting on this machine (about 2/3 months) they bought 2 MF 205X's with the small cabs which rotated with the jib (providing you remembered to slide the valve across before exiting the cab) and I went onto one of those... Anyone have any idea what the JCB was?

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Re: EARLY JCB

Post #2 by Stormin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi MGI,

At first from your description I thought a JCB4. Sliding back actor wasn't introduced until the advent of the 3C that same year 1963.
The rear arm was quite tall when stored with a very long boom but only a short dipper, so the bucket was some distance away from the ground when in stored position.
But the JCB 4 also coincided with the introduction of the innovative two lever cross pattern controls, so seems likely you may have actually started on the Hydra-digger, the predecessor to the 3 and 4.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #3 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:42 pm

William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Stormin

Post #4 by Stormin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm

TullyveeryClassicJCB wrote:I actually thought it was only when the 4c came out that the lever set up was changed and that the layout was the same on the 4 and the Hydra Digger.

I was just going on info from the book "JCB the first fifty years", not 100% sure if it's correct.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #5 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Norman you're right just seen a good photo of the lever layout and it is cross pattern.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:08 am

The video highlights how underpowered the Major engine was for such a big beast. Still it was cutting edge once. Could do with pulling in the dipper when trucking about. :lol:

Martyn Henley

Post #7 by Martyn Henley » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi Bill ...was the machine you are on about this one ?
jcb4backc.jpg

I think i am right in saying that the JCB 4 when it first came out had the 5 levers, and i think the two lever set up was an optional extra at the time... the later 4's and 4C's came with two levers as standard

Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steelfab

Post #8 by Steelfab » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:25 pm

yes thats right the first machines had 5 levers and the two levers were developed with Hamworthy hydraulics

Topic author
MGI

Post #9 by MGI » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Yes Martyn, that is the exact machine... thank you very much! Brings back memories although it was a bit of a beast - the MF 205X I had after it was much smaller and far more maneuverable although it wouldn't dig as deep!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”