Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Kim.Horsevad

3cx bucket float and serial

Post #1 by Kim.Horsevad » Mon May 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Hello!

Just bought a 3cx

JCB-3cx.jpeg

It is a good machine, runs smooth with good tight hydraulics.

There are two problems, though:

The machine should be equipped with bucket float (front bucket). When selected (fully depressed lever) the machine pressures the hydraulics and raises the front end from the ground (even when standing still), which , of course, makes it impossible to steer!

Is there any available adjustment for the float function? The float function is not mentioned in the workshop manual!

Secondly, I cannot seem to locate any serial number (VIN) on the machine... Where should it be?

The only serial number I can find is on the kingpost assembly:

kingpost serial.jpeg

It even has the weirdest quickhitch I have seen:

Weird_quickhitch.jpeg

Would really appreciate any advise!

//Kim Horsevad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steelfab

Re: 3cx bucket float and serial

Post #2 by Steelfab » Mon May 30, 2011 8:43 pm

the number stamped on the kingpost is the casting number and material specification. The serial number should be stamped on an aluminium plate on the side of the chassis but there should also be a number stamped on the side of chassis near the front wheels. If you can find this I can tell you when it was built and who it was originally sold to.

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by agrimax » Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 pm

What makes you believe there is bucket float? I'm no expert but have never heard of it on these machines.Any 3cx I have driven has simply power up and power down. A very tidy machine by the way. 1986-87 perhaps?

jcb4cx

Post #4 by jcb4cx » Mon May 30, 2011 10:06 pm

agrimax wrote:What makes you believe there is bucket float? I'm no expert but have never heard of it on these machines.Any 3cx I have driven has simply power up and power down. A very tidy machine by the way. 1986-87 perhaps?

about every backhoe i have operated has had float from the MF40 to the 3cx today ,push the front bucket lever right forward
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
Kim.Horsevad

Post #5 by Kim.Horsevad » Mon May 30, 2011 11:43 pm

jcb4cx wrote:
agrimax wrote:What makes you believe there is bucket float? I'm no expert but have never heard of it on these machines.Any 3cx I have driven has simply power up and power down. A very tidy machine by the way. 1986-87 perhaps?

about every backhoe i have operated has had float from the MF40 to the 3cx today ,push the front bucket lever right forward

Yes it has float, and the lever stays in the float position allright... The bucket does just not float. It as if there were some residual pressure leaking to the hydraulic cylinders.

I took the plastic cowling (or whatever it is called) of the lever arrangement, in order to inspect the linkages. Everything seems tight and functions as expected. When the lever is in float position the piston on the valve block is fully depressed. Still, the bucket will not float!

Is the scanned page from the instruction manual for the 3cx? If so I would really appreciate a scan of the pages explaining the various warning lamps in the instrument cluster.

//Kim Horsevad

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Tue May 31, 2011 10:02 pm

That's interesting.Been driving/playing with JCBs since 1989 and never even thought about bucket float as a feature.Will inspect my white cab right now!!Would 3Cs have had it too?

agrimax

Post #7 by agrimax » Tue May 31, 2011 10:24 pm

There you go now.It's there alright.You learn something new everyday.In 22 years,I never thought of pushing the lever that little bit further!

jcb4cx

Post #8 by jcb4cx » Tue May 31, 2011 11:04 pm

i will scan the page for you tomorrow evening
cheers graham

jcb4cx

Post #9 by jcb4cx » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:08 pm

hope this helps ,cheers graham

Johnno

Post #10 by Johnno » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:57 pm

That's interesting, I have a 3c3 from about 78 with a 4 in 1, gonna try that. I've got the three levers, lift/lower tip/crowd/ aux/clam (cessna?) Should mine have this function, I want to use it to scrape my muddy access lane, float would be useful. Don't think it's gonna be there though somehow, lifted the front end with the bucket a few times, never come across a float though.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”