3cx Steering Slop

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
McSpud
Flag: Ireland

3cx Steering Slop

Post #1 by McSpud » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi fellas,
I'm really only looking for something to do in going after this problem, but the steering is very sloppy on this 3cx. So I bought new pins and bushes for the tracking bar and the ram.

I got the tracking bar done no problem, but at the hub end of the ram, the ping was aloowed work itself loose and consequently has worn the holes in the hub carrier housing that the ram eye connects to, made them elongated. So even with new pins, the thing is still sloppy.

So my ideas for this is:
1. narrow up the holes again with a few stainless welding rods and rebore it out to take a new pin

OR
2. bore it out to 30mm and put a bronze bush in it like those in the tracking arm....

What do you guys think?
MS

martyn williams

Re: 3cx Steering Slop

Post #2 by martyn williams » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm

I would rebore it and fit bushes.
Regards
Martyn

Topic author
McSpud

Post #3 by McSpud » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I was thinking that would be the best way, but I'm worried about weakening the joint, making whats left, too thin?
At the moment, I have that left hub almost completely stripped, sun/planet gears out, wheel hub off, and removing the inner hub / seal carrier next. After that I have to remove the top & bottom trunnions and then I'll be able to mount the hub carrier casting up on the table of the drill press. scarey stuff!! lol

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 pm

Yes that would be a problem if you don't have enough metal left.If you press in a bush it may split.If you have not got the equipment to do the job it may be best to take it to a machine shop.I have done similar jobs on Ford machines in the past but they had plenty of metal left after machining..
Cheers
Martyn

Topic author
McSpud

Post #5 by McSpud » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Yeah thats the thing Martyn, I'd have about 8mm left all around - a little bit tight. I think I'll try building it up with weld and bore it out again, I have the drill bits capable of the task, at the end of the day, if I do end up putting a bush in it, least I'll be drilling it bigger still I suppose!
Cheers!
MS

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”