just bought a JCB 3C II and would like some help / info

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
jcb1968

just bought a JCB 3C II and would like some help / info

Post #1 by jcb1968 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi all,
as the subjet says, just bought my 1st 3C II today, it is a standard machine with pallet folks on the front shovel, and it came with a 12" and 24" buckets for the rear.
The reg is KSM 838P, and the serial is 3C113196, I think there is member that can help me with the production dates, sales, year of machine etc.

The engine started frst time this morning (there was frost on the ground) with no heating or starting fluid required, and once warmed up, there was no smoke either. All the gears work, with no cluch slip. The cab is in good condition, with little rust, clean inside and out. No lights work.

The only problem is that the hydraulics are very slow, it takes a good rev, before anything moves(and even at that its chug chug, if you know what i mean) So maybe someone can suggest what to check, or what needs replaced, or maybe just needs a top up of oil. I don't know how to check the levels.

The guy that I bought it from, has it 2 years and wanted to restore it, but has ran out of time and just wants to move it on without doing anything in all that time.

Any help / info would be much appreciated

John
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

jcbjohn

Re: just bought a JCB 3C II and would like some help / info

Post #2 by jcbjohn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi john, check the level by means of the sight glass located in the corner below the dash and above brake pedals. If it needs oil open the door on off side corner below cab which is in front of rear wheel, sort of below front bucket lever ! There is a certain postion to have the front loader and back actor to get correct oil level. Will have look in my manual and let you know later tonight, hope this helps regards john

newjcb123uk

Post #3 by newjcb123uk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Sounds most definitely that the machine is very very low on hydraulic oil - hence the chug chug actions. The hydraulic oil tank filler is located on the left hand side of the machine just in front of the rear wheels. It's inside the hinged door (that is if your facing and standing looking at the front of the machine) A Big spanner loosens the cap on top of the hydraulic tank that protrudes from a large rubber hose. This is where you pour and fill the hydraulic oil. The level indicator (Plastic tube) is situated inside the cab just where your right foot rests. by the sounds of things a good 2 drums (50) litres or so should top it up nicely. :thumbup: but do check the correct fill level. :ugeek:

Other than the low hydraulic oil level a case of air suction from the large rubber hose feeding the pump at the front of the machine can cause this noise as well. Foaming of the hydraulic oil is a typical give away or the rubber hose leaking or being very damp with hydraulic oil is also another indicator of air suction. A clogged or blocked strainer filter can also cause the same symptoms or very very worst senario is the JCB pump's scrap and needs reconditioned or replaced. :arrrrgh: Hope these pointers help :D
"A man reaps what he sows"

jcbjohn

Post #4 by jcbjohn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:33 pm

John, the postion to have the mk3 in to check level is loader arms down and bucket flat on ground with the back actor in the travel position and central. Like I say this is for the mk3 which I can't see being any different. Hope this cures your problem, john

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Hugh Jaleak » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:40 pm

I came across an issue with an 818, unsure if it has any bearing on a (much!) earlier 3C. The large hose from the hydraulic tank to the suction side of the pump had weakened, to the extent it was actually 'collapsing' and starving the pump of oil. The pump cavitating gave away there was an oil starvation problem, but we were scratching our heads because we knew the tank was full. Only when operating her with the cover open it got spotted, but that takes 2 people!

Topic author
jcb1968

Post #6 by jcb1968 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:55 am

hi everone,
thanks for your help, i got the 3c 2 home just a few days ago, and topped up on hydraulic oil as suggested,
and hey presto, the loader and back actor are working fine :thumbup: , i think it might need a bit more oil, as i only had 45liters!!
I chanaged the filter before filling up.
there is 1 other minor problem though, the engine stop knob isn't connected, so i don't know how to stop the engine other than stalling it in a high gear, which i don't want to do,
so if some 1 can put me in the right direction??

many thanks again
John
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:57 pm

Any off the shelf stop cable and knob will probably do the job. Till you sort that out you may be able to route some wire through to do the job.

wispa

Post #8 by wispa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Just as pete said a good cable and knob will do. I ordered a long mini choke cable from ebay and fitted it to the inside of the cab and ran it to the shut off thingey and it works a treat.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”